Question for the 94-95 guys

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
I've owned my 94 GT since 1998. I got it when I turned 16. I've been driving it since then and I love my car. I haven't ever really been able to afford to do much of anything to it before (other than maintainence) so it's still pretty much stock. I'm getting to the point, however, where I'm gonna have more time and more money to spend on it. I got to thinking, though, and came up with some questions. My car is now 12 years old. That doesn't mean much to me, I still like it. But I started to worry that maybe some of the parts I'll need down the road wont be available because of how old it is. Theres still plenty of engine work that needs to be done and some body work, too. Not to mention the few miscellanous items, switches that have worn out and things like the turn signal stalk that don't really work right (at least the intermittent windshield wiper part doesnt).

So I guess my question is, should I be worried about this? I have some pretty extensive plans I wanna start working on over the next few years, but before I start putting money into it I wanna know if you guys think I'll have a problem with finding the parts I need.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Get the stuff that needs to be fixed done first.

Ain't no sense in hoping up a car that's got broken junk. Kinda would suck for the rest of the wiper speeds to burn out too, wouldn't it?

The first thing I would look at, and what you didn't mention is how many miles are on the motor, what condition the motor is in (mainly oil consumption-wise) and what you plan to do with the car?

Joe

Chronos[AsG] said:
Not to mention the few miscellanous items, switches that have worn out and things like the turn signal stalk that don't really work right (at least the intermittent windshield wiper part doesnt).
That's an easy fix, you just replace the "Multi-function switch." It is about $40 from a dealer. You just disconnect the battery, take off the airbag on the steering wheel, and unbolt the old one and put in the new one.

Even though your car is now 12 years old (so is mine), most of the picky parts like switches and such are still being produced because most of them were used until as recently as 2004 :nice:

For the rest of it, listen to what Joe had to say. Personally, I plan on buying a used motor to build up since mine is still in pretty good shape. Plus, when I get it finished I can swap motors in a weekend instead of slowly doing the work to the car.

Yeah, don't worry about availability of parts. These Stangs are still ultra popular (not to mention all the v6 cars still in the world with a lot of the same general parts).
On that wiper switch, if you still have part of it working and part of it not working (like the interm. part not working right), try to find some electronic contact cleaner (like CRC, etc). Be careful to cover all the vinyl parts and instrument cluster with a towel that are around the turn signal lever this stuff will splash around a bit. Make sure that the ignition switch is turned off. Spray the cleaner in between the lever section and the part that turns on the end. Work the knob (wiper switch) part back and forth. Do this several times, letting the cleaner "work" in the switch portion of the lever. Be prepared to catch any cleaner that may drip out the bottom of the switch. If you have compressed air handy, use it to blow out the residual cleaner. If no air, just let it dry for awhile before you try to turn the key to "on". Don't want any nasty interior fires here!! Try to find a cleaner that will work on "energized electrical components" or something similar to that. I did this about two years ago, thinking I was going to have to replace the entire switch and the wipers have operated as advertised since then. A lot of goop came out of the switch on mine; it propably got some pop or coffee or orange juice spilled on it and contaminated the rheostat that is in there for the intermittent wiper timer. Sorry this is so long...hope this helps you out on the cheap!! Good Luck!
Phil