Ranger Cam

Tru_Blue_104

Nov 13, 2003
MN
Hey, I heard you can use a cam from a ranger in a 2.3. I only have a few questions:

1. What year do I need to get this from?

2. What parts do I need? (cam and what else?)

3. How much will this cost?

Thanks guys, I just heard that this was the cost effective way to go. If you got any other ideas, Id love to hear them. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on your current car.. 87-90 Mustangs can benefit from the ranger cam, which is a Roller cam and is ever so slightly more aggressive.. If you have the 91-93 Mustang, you already have the EXACT same cam in the rangers....

To do the swap in your 87-90 you'll need the camshaft (obviously) and the followers... The roller cams in the rangers were from 93-00.. After 96 they became a little more aggressive, and after 2000 there is no more 2.3 like ours in the rangers... Just the new duratec DOHC 2.3.... Or you can get the exact same cam from a 91-93 mustang.... Good luck to you..

Tru_Blue_104 said:
Thanks! But what year should I look to get it from? Does it even matter? Thanks!

came in
'89 - '94 or '95-'00
the followers are not interchangable, the later ones have a narrower slot for the valve stem tip.

The early/cast followers are made for use with the valves having 11/32" dia stems (all single plug and early DP heads prior to '95). The late/stamped followers are made for the '95-up DPH's with the 7mm-stem valves.

Mike SVOR said:
Roller cams use higher spring pressures due to their increased ramp rates.

Hey Mike Svor you once said something about the ranger cam not being all that, I forget everything said. I was wondering I got a 93' 2.3L which already has a rollercam in it. What would be a upgrade cam for this and still be street able? It's pretty much a stock 2.3L with a A4LD ( yes the A4LD is about to go and the DP-DIS engine will be built to with stand a turbo install). This guy said in a few post back that the ranger cams get a little more agressive the newer they get, can I get one out of like a 96' and get a few hp and some more rpm's?

Thanks

P.s The feed on your 2.3 turbo racing the Fire bird was awsome. :hail2:

Pro-Hawk said:
Hey Mike Svor you once said something about the ranger cam not being all that, I forget everything said. I was wondering I got a 93' 2.3L which already has a rollercam in it. What would be a upgrade cam for this and still be street able? It's pretty much a stock 2.3L with a A4LD ( yes the A4LD is about to go and the DP-DIS engine will be built to with stand a turbo install). This guy said in a few post back that the ranger cams get a little more agressive the newer they get, can I get one out of like a 96' and get a few hp and some more rpm's?

Thanks

P.s The feed on your 2.3 turbo racing the Fire bird was awsome. :hail2:

Thanks, that was a good run.

I doubt that you'll even get 1 hp out of a newer cam if you already have the roller in there. The difference is so minimal.

If you going to put a cam in, Put A CAM in. Eg. .500 lift or bigger.
The head will flow that no problem with a little porting.
Even without the porting, it'll be way better than the ranger cam.

Mike SVOR said:
Thanks, that was a good run.

I doubt that you'll even get 1 hp out of a newer cam if you already have the roller in there. The difference is so minimal.

If you going to put a cam in, Put A CAM in. Eg. .500 lift or bigger.
The head will flow that no problem with a little porting.
Even without the porting, it'll be way better than the ranger cam.

My cam isn't the ranger cam , all 91-93' 2.3L Mustangs came with a roller. Not sure if its the same grind as the ranger though.

Do you got a part number for that cam? When I rebuild my 2.3L I will get the head ported, not sure on what they can do since its a twin plug but I will least get the ports cleaned up as much as we can.

Thanks

P.s keep the feeds comming is cool as hell :nice:

Stinger said:
Yes it is...

I worded that all wrong. I was trying to say is I didn't go off and install a ranger cam. In fact it already came with a roller.

In a few post up a guy said the newer the rangers got the more agessive so I was guessing that the mustangs roller was a differant grind, thus being slightly different than the ranger's cam. So now I'm guessing at some point they may have been the same cam but switched to a different profile.

Sorry. :D

They have always been the same grind, they have always had the same ratio of followers...the newer followers aren't interchangeable though. A fellow TF member spec'd out both cams and followers and found the lift and other events to be identical.

Stinger

nope, rangerpowersports.com had a long thread about this.... after 96, the same time the trucks went to the new engine management system, they recieved a slightly different grind.. A wee bit more aggressive, they had the specs on rps, I can't seem to find them now though, it was a while ago...

CruzNlife1 said:
nope, rangerpowersports.com had a long thread about this.... after 96, the same time the trucks went to the new engine management system, they recieved a slightly different grind.. A wee bit more aggressive, they had the specs on rps, I can't seem to find them now though, it was a while ago...

I'm alot more willing to trust and actual side by side comparison while taking measurements of the events than so called internet "specs"...unless that stands for "speculation" ;)