Rear leaf spring question(s)

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I have saggy, crappy stock rear leafs in my rear. I want to replace them. I just got new KYB Gas A Just shocks (for xmas).

I do like the mideye stance, but every time I see mideyes its always with 620 drops in the front. Being a college student, I would like to avoid replacing the front coils if possible, since my current ones, although stock, are in fine shape and haven't been in the car that long.

If I put mideyes on the rear and kept the fronts as they are, would the car look stupid? I don't want the front end noticeably higher than the rear, because it would (obviously) look rediculous. Another solution I suppose would be to do the shelby drop in the front, which would sorta level it. In case the only good solution is to buy new front coils, how much is a set of 620 coils (good ones)?

I might post pictures of the stance soon, just so you know what I mean. Its not horrible, but the rear leafs bottom out over any bump if i'm not going under 5mph, and the whole rear sinks i have passengers in the rear seat.

• Sponsors (?)

What year is your car again??? Are the current rear leafs the originals? Either way, I think the mid-eyes will sit a touch lower than stock, but not so much as to be ridiculous. I've got mid-eyes on my Mach, stock front springs (but upper arms lowered 1.75" with negative wedge kit), and currently the rear sits a bit too high IMHO. I'm waiting to see if will settle after a bit of driving (I've put less than 500 miles on the car since the spring swap). I'd post a pic, but it says I'm over my quota (with 5 lousy images :mad: ).

Here ya go...
attachment.php

WHy do you want mid eyes? You will lower the rear of your car, but not the front. It might look like you still have worn springs.

You can get 620 coil springs on ebay sometimes for $50. They are about $65-$70 every place else. Look into the shelby control arm drop :)

Shane

Car is a 66, and the rear sags so much that it is at least noticeably below the front even without anyone in the rear seats, and it just gets worse when people get in.

I want mideyes, because I like the lowered stance. Not that I have anything against the stock, or even slightly raised rears.. just the stangs I've seenw tih mideyes in the rear and the 620s in front look really nice. I just don't know if i want to shell out the money for coils... though if they are 65 bucks it isn't at bad as I thought they'd be.

and yes the current leafs are originals, to my knowledge. And if they aren't, they might as well be.

dont you have a 351 in your car? that does make the car heavier on the front springs. with that in mind, i think the mideyes will be fine on your car. Just try it out, you can always do the shelby drop or the springs if you arent satisfied with the results.

:nice:

You know, you can always cut your current front coils to lower the front a touch. As an added benefit, it will increase spring stiffness a bit too. This is between cheap and free, depending you your tool supply.

Oh, and you may hear that this is not the correct way to lower your car, but I disagree (having done it and based on years of professional racers doing it). If you do decide to do it, cut them 1/3 of a coil at a time and then reinstall to check ride height. Don't be tempted to cut much more than that...

If you're that concerned about the outcome, why not get standard eye leafs, then later if you want to change the rear height to match the front (or if later you get 620's or cut what you have), you could get a set of lowering blocks fairly inexpensive. Haven't done this, but just a thought.

I have 620 1" drop springs on the front, and stock on the rear, mine arent sagging, the car sits just fine, check my pic gallery. I think you should have your stock rear springs recurved, cheapest way to go. THen see how she sits. You can always replace springs later as money allows.