Recomendations for CAI

Hey Guys,

I am at the point where I would like to add an aftermarket cold air kit to my wife's 06 4.0 Automatic Vert. Currently, it has true duals with flowmaster mufflers and a drop in K&N. I know that I am not going to get a lot of performance gains but I want the cleaner underhood appearance. What kits have you all used and what kind of issues have you run into? I had a friend who put a BBK cold air kit on his 08 4.0 and was very pleased. He did not have to use a handheld tuner and his CEL didn't come on after resetting his computer once. I have also heard that the throttle response from the drive-by-wire system can be tuned up a little through a hand held tuner. Is that true for the V6's? If going with a kit with a tuner is the better route I will hold off till I have the funds for that. If it is about the same either way, I may go ahead with the BBK kit. Also, I understand all of the other benefits of a hand held tuner but this car will probably never see a track and she has no interest in a hotter tune because she does not want to have to run premium fuel in it. I am interested in the throttle response issue because I feel that there is a little lag there between when I hit the pedal and when the car moves. She says I am crazy, but she switched to this car from a 4cyl Saturn so the difference is night and day to her anyway. Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer. Have a great day!

• Sponsors (?)

I just put a BBK CAI on my 4.0 last month. Very happy with the result! The only previous performance type mod was the dual exhausts. The Stang runs great now! No tune, just disconnected the battery as per instructions and the computer reset itself. Very pleased with the look and performance. Plus I'm still running on 87 octane...

I ended up getting some engine dress-up items afterward to go with nice chrome intake pipe. Again, excellent performance boost with no tune. Much quicker off the line and all through the RPM range. Mileage has improved, and that's with me pushing the car more. Anyone who tells you the BBK CAI is no good w/o a tune likely has zero experience with the product.