Paint and Body Removing body trim pieces

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hi guys. Hoping for some more of your infinite wisdom. While continuing my car dismantle I have come to the bumpers and the side trim pieces on my GT. I know the side pieces have/use brackets that are riveted to the fenders and the doors just have 3m tape. What I am not sure about is how to properly remove the trim from the brackets. Is there a proper method? Direction they should be worked towards/from? Is there any 3m tape involved on them like on the doors? I'm sure the info is out there but I haven't been able to find it. I want to try to get the pieces off without destroying them since it appears they are no longer available. All I have found is just the door strips.
Thank you guys for any help or suggestions.
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

IMG_1014.JPG IMG_0976.JPG

This was a pic while I was installing mine. Removal is reverse.

For the sides, start at the front fender. Undo any screws (could be up to 3 I believe - if they are still all installed). Then undo the screws or rivets along the bottom edge by the pinch weld underneath. Once that is done the upper part on the fender gets lifted up and forward at same time and rear section will pull forward off rear panel shown. Long narrow section clip is shown in pic.

For rear panel shown, should be similar to mentioned above, screws in wheel opening and underneath. Then lift up off the clip. May work better rocking it at front and rear.

For the 3M mounted ones I found a long exacto blade works good. Saw through material, not cutting trim or paint. If you don't pull and stretch the trim it can be re-installed. If looks like it is deformed from removal a little trick is to set it out in the sun, let it soften up and relax. Clean old 3M residue off, reapply new tape and good to go.

Panels installed between bumper cover and wheel well have 3 bolts through the fender and 2 (along with metal bracket) going into bumper cover. Can be removed with inner fender still installed.

Rear side panels (behind wheel) are similar to front panels, 3 bolts through quarter panel, 2 into rear bumper cover and 2 or 3 in wheel opening.

Kruisr,
I have to give you a lot of thanks for taking the time to help me out. I think I will have to print your response out and take it to the car and see if I can understand each section. I hope to preserve as much as I can, so knowing how they go on is important.
Thanks again, maybe I will actually get this car finished up one day!??!

I found a couple other pics that may help.

20150524_104856.jpg

This is passenger front fender, you will see the upper clip just below the tape measure and a vertical clip on the lower left of pic. These two along with screws in fender opening hold the front of the long panel in place.

lrs-10214_9711.jpg
This is a pic of the replacement clips. If needed they can be purchased individually or as a complete kit.

They are all the same profile - two on rear of front fender, long length under door (on rocker) and two for the rear section on quarter panel between door and wheel opening (my pic above). You can see the rivet holes and the formed section to the left is what plastic tabs on the panels "clip" into and holds them in place.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Oh thanks again. It's getting clearer now. Just to make sure: Do the trim pieces SLIDE onto these brackets or do they get 'stretched'/bent and popped onto the brackets?
Many thanks,
Ken

The trim panels have tabs that get pushed down into the clip. The clip flexes and then squeezes onto the tabs. From my experience the clips do not damage the tabs on the trim. Basically held in place by spring pressure created by the clips.