Replacement for my wrecked truck......

1320stang

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1998
Edmond, Oklahoma
It's an '03 2wd 4.0 auto 4.10 towing package with 77k.

dscf3854.jpg

dscf3862.jpg

dscf3864.jpg

Here's my mechanic putting some loaner wheels and tires on the old truck so we can load it on the trailer to haul it off.

View attachment 416385

View attachment 416389

View attachment 416392

• Sponsors (?)

Alll-right quarterhorse! :nice: Nice little SporTrack; pretty doggone close to Chepie's new rig.
Once I pay off quite a few more bills; one of those little guys could become a good excuse for me to not give the XR-7 to my daughter Jessie :D

I wouldn't mind one of those for myself..... but I'm afraid that "Larry" (not you, see my sig), even with the planned mods, isn't gonna have enough stoplight grunt for hauling the horse trailer. Going down to a 1/4 ton-rated rig and back to a V6 would.... just.... :nonono:

Larry,

Too Much ! I got one last year!!!! Great trucks, plenty of cab room, and they are great utility vehicles. Mine tows my Cobra on an open trailer no problem, and snow is easy! I notice you do not have the original hard folding bed cover. I have it, and it's lockable, you can stand on it for viewing fireworks, and just makes that part of the truck easier. I am still trying to master the rear remote radio control!

Good Choice! (Just the gas mileage sucks......)

ExplorerSportTrac.jpg

:nice:

Attachments

• ExplorerSportTrac.jpg
    ExplorerSportTrac.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 72
Hmm, I was told the highway milage was about 20. I may end up changing out the rear gear for a 3.73 or 3.55 as I won't tow with it a whole bunch.

I thought the hard rear cover was an option. I have the factory bed extender. Although I haven't taken the top off yet, I sorta like it better due to the fact if I go somewhere and find some sort of smoking deal on something that's pretty big, I can remove the top to haul it.

I guess you cna put your hard cover in the back seat, but I have a family of five, sorta takes all contingencies into account for me. And the bed cover is actually a myth for getting better mileage, I think they even confirmed it on Mythbusters. I also know that the tailgate down is worse mileage as well. What happens is the bed 'hauls' a load of air, it tumbles in the bed and sort of acts like a fastback bringing the air off the cab past the tailgate. Kinda like the reason they put vinyl tops on the Mopars in the 60's and also the way a golf ball works. If you open the tailgate, the air can't tumble as well and it draws the air down against the tailgate.

Also, you can lock out the rear control so the rear occupants can't control the radio. I have this feature on my last two Windstars, I think you hit the first and middle preset buttons to lock and unlock it.

Sounds like yours is fancier than mine, I have vinyl floors with carpeted mats, just power windows and locks. The driver's seat isn't power and I just have the single CD/cassette radio. I have no rear air, it has the short console with the integral removable 'man bag'.

My aftermarket deals were the bed cover, XM radio (which I removed, I don't travel that much outside the city and don't need the $13/month charge) and the coolest thing, remote start. Oh, and tinted windows.

GREAT buy.

We took one of these when they were brand new for an 8 hour trip up to Lake Placid New York. The ride was great and it handled it's own offroad.

Gas mileage was as to be expected, just south of our Grand Marquis.

Have fun with the truck :nice:

Hey Cheapie, does the passenger side rear seat latch when it's folded down? My driver's side does, but the passenger side doesn't. I'm trying to figure out if it never did, or if the latch is broken/stuck. Also, what year is your truck?

GREAT buy.

We took one of these when they were brand new for an 8 hour trip up to Lake Placid New York. The ride was great and it handled it's own offroad.

Gas mileage was as to be expected, just south of our Grand Marquis.

Have fun with the truck :nice:

Thanks, I picked it up for $11.5k, I figure that's near 1/3 of the new price and it's only 1/3 used up. :nice:

No, my rear seats don't latch either, but they make a great storage shelf! Perfect for gear when I go camping! They all have the rubber mats, and it makes cleaning SOOOOOOOOOOO easy! I love the power back window, and the power sunroof is a great addition, my first car with one!

You got a great buy! Last year I paid $15K from a dealer, but it was a low-mileage 2001 cream-puff!

Stuff to watch for:
The oil pressure senders fail often. Check it, as it will give you errant gauge readings.
The EGR control module fails alot, resulting in the "Check Engine" light. If this happens, contact me, and I'll give you the part number.
Mine has cooked the front rotors, but what would one expect for 77,000 miles, and alot of Cobra Towing?
Keep the oil & trans fluid fresh.
Rides like a Caddy! Great in snow, just flip in 4WD while rolling!

Mine both do latch, you just have to push down to the point they're parallel to the ground. The driver's side is easy, but the spring in the latch on the passenger side isn't strong enough and the latch has to be pulled (or is it pushed?) manually.

I got 15.8 with my first tank, but I pulled a mid 70's big Pontiac on a trailer this past weekend as well as the empty trailer back to my house so I could load up the Amigo to haul off. I'm trying to baby the truck to see how good of milage I can eek out of her.

By looking at the brake fluid level, it looks like the pads are about half worn. The guy used only Castrol GTX and Wix filters every 3000 changing it himself and I'm about 750 from my first oil change. I'll do a air filter change as well and I'll probably do a tranny filter and fluid change this spring.

I have been wanting one of those for years, i could really use the added room going from a 3 door ranger. They started putting the 3V 4.6 in them this year, i might try to hold off and pick a used one of those up. I'm in no real hurry, I still have to pay off college, and start looking at getting a house. But yeah that looks like a great truck, i have heard nothing but praise about them.

I know another thing to watch for is the multifunction switch. I used the flashers when checking the trailer wiring and then brake lights and turn signals wouldn't work. Took wiggling the flasher button a bit to make them work. It's an inherant problem, usually from them not getting a whole lot of use according to my Ford mechanic buddy. They do go out on occasion (multifunction switch) he told me as did another Ford mechanic buddy.

I may have to upgrade in a couple years to a 4.6 equipped one, that would probably pull a 2600# racecar on a open trailer just fine.