Sad day Chiped hood

1Slow5oh

Mar 24, 2004
Bartonville, IL
I was driving to school this morning, Excitied because i got to drive my mustang for the first time in a week, Going down the road about 45 and look down at speedo look up and WHAM!! what to my suprise my hood is verticel and slams back into the windsheild. Bent the **** out of the air vent behind the hood before the windsheild, mashed the wipers, cracked the plasctic cowl peice, chiped my hood:( what a great day....... I am not sure what the problem is because ive been driving with this hood for about 2 months and nothing has ever happened. Never let anybody else shut your hood but yourself. I let my cousin move my car last night and i had the hood up. he must not of shut it all the way.

Does anybody know if the vent/ part after the hood/before windsheild can be replaced or repaired. I looked at it and it seems to be a part of the accual car. CAN I REPLACE???

PLEASE HELP!

:TEAR:(

• Sponsors (?)

I dont mean the Plastic black peice..... This is the accual Part the the wipers come out of its part of the car. Im not really worried about the plastic peice thats no problem... this is part of the car under the plastic......

No actually its part of the firewall....riveted on in about 300 places also....I did the same thing as you...twice so i learned. Your best be is to take off the hood, get all new wiper parts (the ones that got smashed) and then either cut out the bent up part of the metal cowl and have new flat metal welded in place, or bend it all back as best as possible with a rubber hammer. I had it cut out then new metal welded in....cost me 100 bucks. Then we bent the small edge along the bottom of the windsheild back with a rubber hammer and it looks back to normal again now. My hood only came up at about 25 so it wasnt too bad. Ive seen some real bad ones that busted up the roof and everything. Good luck shouldnt be such a bad fix...........good time for a fiberglass hood also...

Before you cut anything out, there are welders that will attach nails to the bent part of the cowl. With a slide hammer, you can pull out those dents if it isn't too crumpled and you know what you are doing. I have done cowl repair before (for rust) and I would avoid pulling off the cowl if it isn't needed.

I did the same thing on my 89 GT :bang: :bang: . I ended up selling the car because the roof also got hit and I "thought" it was to bad to fix (once again :bang: :bang: ). I regret selling that car for 1400, I now know that it wasn't that bad, a that I should have gotten it fix but what the hay. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you man and goodluck.

I just installed Mr. Gasket hood locks on my cobra r fiberglass hood after a friend of mine had a blowover on his new fiberglass hood. He mashed roof above his windshield. The locks cost about $35 and are cheap insurance. Learning from others mistakes is self preservation.

Yea i am pretty sure i can pull it back out with a slide hammer and hopefully it isent to mangeled. It dident come back far enough to mess up the roof or at least THANK GOD its a light hood..... It already has a fiberglass hood, this is probibly you it dident have enough force to break the window/molding. Anybody know of a good place to get fiberglass hoods repaired??? it just has a small 1inch chip out of the top/back of the cowl..... i can probible do it myself but i dont know.