sitting in Political Science class

crazystang05

Jun 21, 2004
I am sitting in my Political Science class and my proffesor was talking emission controls in california. I do not live in live in callifornia, but I do know they have strict emission crontrols. He said that no matter how old your car is the emission on it must be to the current states standerds. thust making the poor even more poor or something. Anyways I thought that the car had to be to the emisions standerd of when the car was made. Not to the current california emmisions standerds. I was hoping someone that knows more could clear this up for me... Hopefully so I can prove him wrong. If anyone understands what im tlakin about please help thanks.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, you are supposed to leave the smog equipment on the car...

For instance- '66 Mustangs had all that smog junk- thermactor pumps, etc... you are "supposed" to leave it all on the engine..

Go to any car show and just see how many people follow that law..

Another thing is that there are a lot of tree-huggers in CA (probably not as many as washington, but still...). They are constantly trying to pass laws to get old cars smogged, etc...

From what I have heard, you are supposed to leave all of the smog stuff on the car.. I dont know about making the poor even poorer- that is just a load of BS.

In Texas the gov will give you up to $1000 to fix you car so it can pass smog, provided you can show why you cannot afford to fix it yourself.

I would think that Cali has a similiar law on the books, but logic and California are typically mutually exclusive.