Small block cam/intake suggestions?

Turbo II

Founding Member
Nov 19, 2000
Alberta, Canada
Sorry this subject has been beat to death before but as I age my memory fades ;)

I've picked up a few bargains at swap meets and Ebay recently and now I'm trying to sort out what my best options are. Right now I have a few 302 cars I'm working on (4) but mainly I'm interested in your opinions on two of them

1) the "Bogus Boss" project: at this point I have a 302 block with what I believe are TRW flattops in it. Heads are 351M (like 2V Clevelands) already modified to work on the Windsor block (clevor) plus I have the adapters to put on a regular 302 intake. Any opinions on which intake and cam would work well as a package with this?
For a camshaft, I'm thinking I would like to stay hydraulic at this point due to budget. Is .490 to .500 lift with around 260 dur. too much? (I pulled these specs out of thin air but they are a little milder than the original Boss 302 specs) As for an intake I have 3 to pick from:

Edelbrock F4B (I'm leaning towards this one as it's a "period correct" dual plane)

Weiand Action Plus (#8011) A mild dual plane (comprable to the Edelbrock Performer I think?)

Weiand Xcellerator? (#7515) Single plane

This car won't be a daily driver, just a summertime weekend car.... opinions on which combo would make best use of the larger valves and ports.

2) The other car is my '77 "Cobra Clone" Original 302 that I will be putting on some '69 351W heads (milled 20-30 thou) and a set of Blackjack headers. I'm seriously thinking of putting in a new cam while the motor is out...any suggestions? Also which of the leftover intakes would you suggest? I'm leaning towards the Weiand Action Plus as this car will see more use than the "Bogus Boss" and streetability is a factor.

A lot of questions here, but any insight from you guys that have done it before would be appreciated.

At least my 2.3 cars are easier, a lot fewer options :D

Thanks,

Francis "Turbo II"

• Sponsors (?)

As for the Boss 302, I'd look at the specs on the cams Ford used in their production Boss's or for a hotter cam look at the ones Ford used in the Trans-Am Racing cars. Those specs would probably be a good start to finding an aftermarket cam that would be close to what you need for these new heads.

d

you've got several things to consider, first, find out if you're going to have any piston to valve clearance issues, you'll have to mock the engine up. Second, figure out how many rpm you want to pull with this engine. Roller cams are the fad now, BUT.... many people are building killer flat tappet solid lifter engines as well, much cheaper than a roller cam. Third, you said you want to use a hydraulic cam... start looking at different cam power ranges, lift, duration etc... Maybe a good starting point would be something like I'm running... Isky 280 H megacam. 232 @.050, .517" lift. Your best bet to get some idea of what's going on is to download performance trends engine analyzer ( www.performancetrends.com ) and try a bunch of different cams you find to see what works. Then you'll have an idea of what direction to go. BTW I think the engine analyzer is free...

Francis u need to give some more info.

I think the intakes u got on ur list, have very small intake runners compared the head ports?

So will this be auto or stick and what gears do plan to have?
How much squeeze is this clevor?

I pulled the comp 280h/.512 out of the 66 stang, Les went to a roller cam so its for sale cheap. It worked very well as u know with 4.10s and a 3000 stall.

12.9 @ 106 mph 650 dp,xcell intake,stock 68 302 heads(big valves/mild port) only 9 to 1 comp. n/a 306 in a 2800 lb w/o driver 66 mustang coupe

Those are all good intakes (yes- the action plus is the running mate to the Performer) but if you're staying "period correct" go with either an Edelbrock F4B, Holley Streetmaster, Edelbrock Torker (not Torker II), or Offy Equaflow 360 or Port-o-Sonic. Weiand's action Plus and Stealth is a great intakes too but I'm not sure what they called them in the 80's.
Stick to a dual plane intake and dual pattern cam in your mostly"street driven" car (the 351W car for example) and go for a single plane intake on your bogus boss to get the full use of those 'M' heads. You could probably get away with a single pattern cam for the Boss, but it possibly would perform better with more lift and duration on the exh. side. The boss will probably be able to handle more cam and carb than a std. headed 302, as long as you have good flowing exh. (headers) A safe number, I'd guess would be 230*of duration at .050 lifter rise would be a safe ceiling before you have to get crazy with gears and converter. On the 351W car, probably 224*of duration @ .050 lifter rise give or take 4* would probably work real well. Keep the Lobe sep right around 112 for the 351W car and 108-110 for the Boss. I have no idea how much lift you can pull out of the boss engine before valve interference, like he was saying, you'll have to mock it up and find out for sure. On the 351W car you should be ok to .520, but .500 for sure as long as you have decent valve reliefs. Alot of it depends on the year of the 351W block you're using. If you have the earlier 69-73 351W blocks, they have shorter decks, just as the 302s do and would provide up to .050 additional clearance in some cases. (also depends on pistons too!)

Turbo II said:
Sorry this subject has been beat to death before but as I age my memory fades ;)

I've picked up a few bargains at swap meets and Ebay recently and now I'm trying to sort out what my best options are. Right now I have a few 302 cars I'm working on (4) but mainly I'm interested in your opinions on two of them

1) the "Bogus Boss" project: at this point I have a 302 block with what I believe are TRW flattops in it. Heads are 351M (like 2V Clevelands) already modified to work on the Windsor block (clevor) plus I have the adapters to put on a regular 302 intake. Any opinions on which intake and cam would work well as a package with this?
For a camshaft, I'm thinking I would like to stay hydraulic at this point due to budget. Is .490 to .500 lift with around 260 dur. too much? (I pulled these specs out of thin air but they are a little milder than the original Boss 302 specs) As for an intake I have 3 to pick from:

Edelbrock F4B (I'm leaning towards this one as it's a "period correct" dual plane)

Weiand Action Plus (#8011) A mild dual plane (comprable to the Edelbrock Performer I think?)

Weiand Xcellerator? (#7515) Single plane

This car won't be a daily driver, just a summertime weekend car.... opinions on which combo would make best use of the larger valves and ports.

2) The other car is my '77 "Cobra Clone" Original 302 that I will be putting on some '69 351W heads (milled 20-30 thou) and a set of Blackjack headers. I'm seriously thinking of putting in a new cam while the motor is out...any suggestions? Also which of the leftover intakes would you suggest? I'm leaning towards the Weiand Action Plus as this car will see more use than the "Bogus Boss" and streetability is a factor.

A lot of questions here, but any insight from you guys that have done it before would be appreciated.

At least my 2.3 cars are easier, a lot fewer options :D

Thanks,

Francis "Turbo II"