snow tires and wheels

Discussion in 'SVT Tech Forum' started by Moby, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Moby

Moby New Member

Unfortunately I have to drive my '03 Cobra in the winter in New Jersey. I somehow survived last year without snow tires. I'm not going to try that again.

I'm looking to get some snow tires and wheels. I'm looking for a real cheap but halfway decent set of wheels. Any recommendations for wheel size. How narrow can I go? For the tires, I'm looking into the Dunlop M3's or the Bridgestone Blizzaks. Anyone have any experience with these on their Cobras?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Saleen4971

Saleen4971 New Member

:worship: blizzaks!!!!
  3. therunyan

therunyan Founding Member

:nice:

Had mine mounted last week -- after the multiple "near death" experiences last winter, had to give 'em a shot. $140 each on Tirerack.
  4. JETSOLVER

JETSOLVER New Member

Own a '97 in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada and run Dunlop m2 WinterSports 255/40/17 on a mildly thrashed set of factory 17's. Excellent snow tire,super tread life for a snow(unlike those Blizzacks) and once you get used to the feel of the tread blocks moving pretty good dry cornering. My unit has only 17,000Kms(approx7500m) and she gets a lot of looks the day after 6-8inches.
  5. missouri_guy197

missouri_guy197 New Member

I've heard the BFG KDWS work pretty well in the snow also, and they don't cost that much...
  6. therunyan

therunyan Founding Member

I had the KDWS, but didn't like them much, but I have to admit they did a damn site better than last year's winter-with-death-slicks. I opted for the Blizzaks this time based on the reviews on the boards and Tirerack's web page. (Wing and a prayer, basically). Time will tell...
  7. 20Cobra01

20Cobra01 Founding Member

Cobra? Snow? :nonono:

Buy a beater car........... :shrug:
  8. sinisterblack98

sinisterblack98 Sometimes I just lay on my garage floor and look u Founding Member

Ditto that...

When you add up the cost of tires and/or wheels, plus the fact that you can drop the insurance on the Cobra and run basic liability on a beater...

It doesn't make sense to drive a limited production sports car in the winter, tires will only help a little, the car has too much torque and rear wheel drive. Plus they should never see SALT!!!

Good luck!
  9. Moby

Moby New Member

thanks for the advice. i decided to go with the Blizzak WS-50. they dont clean the sidestreets well in my town, and the layer of ice on the streets can be a nightmare. yeah, the treads may wear down quickly, but ill see and maybe switch to the LM-22's or the Dunlop M3's next time around.

im done with used cars. i had 2 used camaro's. the first one was good, but the last one ('94 Z28) was a piece of crap. bought it with 50K miles in great condition. after a few months, i was spending between $300-$500 a month repairs. misfiring problems, distributor, ignition switch, etc. that's why i got rid of it and got the Cobra. with my luck, ill get a beater, and it'll be in the shop and costing me a fortune.

ill let you all know how the Blizzaks do.