So I Have a Few More Questions...

Gripstang

Founding Member
Dec 31, 1999
Tulare CA
Ok I have asked a few questions about a 1998 Cobra that I am interested in buying. Just so you know I was going to buy it but at the time I was on disability for a work injury but now that I am back to work I qualify for the loan.

The 98 is bone stock w/ 65k miles and is a nice triple black vert. $12,500.00

I saw an ad for a 96 Cobra that has a bubble that says super charger. This being California you dont see that very often (because of smog issues its rare to come across a vehicle that is modded nicely). I called the place and it turns out the SC is a Kenne Bell! Now my questions are:

1. Are all the KB SC's good or would one from that era be different in some ways to what you buy now?

2. Should I be scared if its pushing more than 9psi? It seems the general concensus is that a 96-98 4v 4.6 shouldn't go over 410 or so rwhp because of weak internals, if its pushing more than that should I even look at it?

3. Assuming it is the 9lb. kit what kind of power would that yeild? KB's website claims 150hp is that what you have seen/heard to be true?

4. Im kinda freaked out by smogging cars because I have had numerous problems in the past, the SC is 50 state legal but how does that work? Do they follow normal smog rules for a 96 Cobra and it has to perform the same in terms of emissions or do they allow a little extra because of the added fuel/emissions required of a SC'ed vehicle? Anything else you can tell me about emissions and mods?

5. Anything in particular I should look at when I look over the car? I know most of the standard stuff but have never looked at a SC'ed car for buying.

Also they are asking $10k Doesnt that seem kinda low? The car has 80K miles. Is the price reasonable considering the market (gas prices/gas hogs) or does that seem to low?

The car is about an hours drive away and to sync enough time to go look at it with my wife I will have to take a day off. Not something I want to do if its not worth worrying about...

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Gripstang said:
Ok I have asked a few questions about a 1998 Cobra that I am interested in buying. Just so you know I was going to buy it but at the time I was on disability for a work injury but now that I am back to work I qualify for the loan.

The 98 is bone stock w/ 65k miles and is a nice triple black vert. $12,500.00

I saw an ad for a 96 Cobra that has a bubble that says super charger. This being California you dont see that very often (because of smog issues its rare to come across a vehicle that is modded nicely). I called the place and it turns out the SC is a Kenne Bell! Now my questions are:

1. Are all the KB SC's good or would one from that era be different in some ways to what you buy now?

2. Should I be scared if its pushing more than 9psi? It seems the general concensus is that a 96-98 4v 4.6 shouldn't go over 410 or so rwhp because of weak internals, if its pushing more than that should I even look at it?

3. Assuming it is the 9lb. kit what kind of power would that yeild? KB's website claims 150hp is that what you have seen/heard to be true?

4. Im kinda freaked out by smogging cars because I have had numerous problems in the past, the SC is 50 state legal but how does that work? Do they follow normal smog rules for a 96 Cobra and it has to perform the same in terms of emissions or do they allow a little extra because of the added fuel/emissions required of a SC'ed vehicle? Anything else you can tell me about emissions and mods?

5. Anything in particular I should look at when I look over the car? I know most of the standard stuff but have never looked at a SC'ed car for buying.

Also they are asking $10k Doesnt that seem kinda low? The car has 80K miles. Is the price reasonable considering the market (gas prices/gas hogs) or does that seem to low?

The car is about an hours drive away and to sync enough time to go look at it with my wife I will have to take a day off. Not something I want to do if its not worth worrying about...

Thanks!
For the 98 that's a reasonable price. To give you a little comparison I got a 99 Cobra, bone stock) for $13,800 in April of this year.
Do you plan to mod the car? And are you worried about miles on it?
For the 96 you shouldn't push much over 9 psi because of weak internals. I would probably go 8. I'm assuming the car has some hard miles on it having a s/c and 80K miles already. As far as smog issues are concerned as long as the car has all it's cats you should be fine. I live in Illinois so I don't know how strict they are out there in California....but if the cats are on you should be fine.

GTStang Guy said:
I live in Illinois so I don't know how strict they are out there in California....but if the cats are on you should be fine.

Thanks for your input! It's been a while since I've had to smog a car but the last time I had my 85 GT in they were installing the dyno for smog purposes. They are very strict here and its become a nightmare. Which is one of the reasons I have been buying new cars and trading them in before smog comes up.

So which car would you get? The car I buy wont be seeing a whole lot of miles probably 8k a year maybe, maybe less.

As far as modding goes I doubt if I got the 96 that I would mod for any more power. I would most likely focus on suspension/cosmetics.

For the 98? Well thats why the 96 is attractive I wont have much money to mod so if I can get a modded car out the gate Im doin good.

My question about wether or not the price seemed low was on the 96. The 98 seems fair to me although for the same price I could get a low mile 2002-2003 GT. Again though the more power out of the initial investment the better as I wont have the funds for a SC.

Im lookin at the pic of the car right now and it sure is pretty it has Cobra R's (chrome) on it too. Ack decisions decisions...