So is it a GT or a V6?

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
So I'm driving along yesterday and I see a Mustang. No GT emblem on the back, nor on the side, and the front grill has the small foglights.
But it has a dual exhaust, with cutouts in the plastic, and the large metal cans behind them that look exactly like the ones on my GT (in otherwords it doesn't look like any aftermarket exhaust).

So my question is this: Did Ford ever make GT's from the factory with the V6 style small foglights, or is this a V6 with a really stock looking dual exhaust?

In the great scheme of things, this is really not that important, but I'm curious...

• Sponsors (?)

The small foglights are V6 pony package only as far as I know. Can't put a V6 grill in a GT without changing the bumper as well. I think there is a much better chance of someone doing a decent job with dual exhaust for their V6 than a GT owner changing all the other parts.

It had emblems on the sides, but not the GT emblem, so I don't know if there were holes.

What got me was how GT the lower back end looked, it was identical to mine, the cutouts in the plastic, the dual muffler cans, way the mufflers were shaped, etc. Made me think it was a GT made to look like a V6, but then why leave the wing on if you're trying to go incognito?

In any event, you all answered my question, it definitely wasn't stock from the factory that way. Next time I see it I'll see if I can get a closer look...

Maybe it was my car you saw? 07 GT with V6 Pony Grill, Lights, and emblems. Oh, and by the way, the V6 grill fits fine within the GT bumper with little fabrication...

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

five oh brian
Did you buy a GT and puprosely make it look like a V6 or did you buy a V6 and put a V8 in it?

I ordered my car from the factory as a GT, but with the rear wing delete and painted 18" wheels (not the chromed ones). Removed the GT emblems. Traded grills & foglamps with a friend who wanted his 06 V6 to look like a GT. I've kept the exhaust 100% factory (to keep it quiet). It's priceless to line up with someone at the dragstrip when they think it's a V6, only to whoop 'em badly. I've had quite a few interesting conversations at the track about the sleeper effect of my car.

When I had my GT dyno tuned for the supercharger, there were some guys from a local Mustang shop who live & breath Mustangs all day long. With the hood up, one asked how much power I was expecting with the blower on my V6 even though he could see the engine up close (I guess he didn't count the 8 bright blue fuel injectors). One of them even asked if I started with a V6 and swapped in a V8. That would be a lot more expensive than the route I went. Needless to say, my car confuses plenty of people who should know what it is.

Now, my buddy with the 06 V6 that has my GT grill and lights has one mean looking Mustang. All black, dark tinted windows, Roush hood scoop, side window louvers, 20" chrome wheels, GT front & rear bumpers, dual exhaust, etc. His car looks way better than mine, but it's a poseur and he knows it.

Badges are not hard to remove. I have Zero badges on mines besides the Pony in the front, and the GT in the rear.(Soon to be replaced by a cobra when I supercharge) :nice:

I saw a very interesting stang the other night at aventura mall down here in S. FL. It was grabber orange, with a KR hood, black TT 20's, and the V6 fogs and rear wing bumper. Had a set of after market tail lights, and a very large set of pipes out of its rear. It was hard to tell if it was a v6 poseur, or a v8 posing as a V6 like 5.0's :p....

But heh..many wonder about what I did to my stang..so yeah.