SPEAKING OF "THE DARKSIDE"

jlangholzj; your Camaro has nothing "Dark-Side" on what shall be gracing my driveway starting Monday night!

As mentioned in at least one other thread today; my daughter Jessie called me while I was at work Friday and announced that she had a job. About 30 hours a week; enough to buy gas and make insurance payments; which was the condition I set for letting her use part of her grandma's inheritance to buy a car. So we went out to "Snowbird Acres" (the "Foothills" area east of Yuma on I-8) to look for an old grandma I mean reliable, well-maintained pre-owned vehicle for her. Last night's reconoitering revealed only one that seemingly pleased both of us..... Jessie wanted a "sport-ute type" vehicle; I was looking for a low-po slow I mean economical car.
Today, we went back out and hit a few more vacant lots in that area and found nothing that worked for one or the other of us, other than the "compromise car" that she and I found last night; so we called the guy and took it for a spin.

It's a '95 Suzuki Sidekick JLX (think "4-door Chevy/GEO Tracker") with a blistering 90HP 1.6L 4-banger, automatic, A/C, power steering/brakes/windows/locks and a new front seal and timing belt. Needs new meats and brake pads (at least for the way Jessie likes to lock up the binders), could use a new valve cover gasket, and it sounds like it needs new hinge-pin bushings on the rear door. The door doesn't look like -once the spare tire comes off- it could weigh much more than about half as much as the doors on my old '91 "Rice-Eating Generic Chevy Truck" or on the Cougar (been there, done that on both vehicles); so that shouldn't be a big deal. I did my research online last night.... no recalls, no major TSB's; and NHTSA records give it an average crash-safety rating, with an EPA rating of 22/26 MPG.

The test-drive was okay..... engine was "buzzy" (Consumer Reports was right on the money with that) and nobody could ever possibly get whiplash from the 0-60 times (which I really appreciated). The tranny shifted FIRM, no slip-sliding there. No pulls to the left or right, even under hard braking, A/C pumped cold, lights and flashers worked, no major oil-spills (other than the little bitty seepage around the valve-cover). Didn't take it off-road to test the 4WD; took the guy's word on that. No howls, growls, or strange clunks (other than the rear door). In all, I think it will be a good little "first car" for the kid - she'll be better piloting it than she's been with her mother's Ram 1500 or my F150 4x4. :eek:

And if she breaks it; I can borrow a motorcyle trailer to haul it home. :D

The guy wanted $3900, NADA and KBB estimated $3300 trade-in, $3600 private sale. Jessie offered him 35, he countered with 38, they settled on 37; which was more than I would have given (I'd have held at $3500 for the tires), but, "it's her money". :shrug:

At least she promised me "no fart-cans, wings or body-kits" :rolleyes:

Yes, I know, :worthlesb Well, the only pictures we presently have are on Jessie's phone-cam, and the exterior was pretty dirty - the guy got wild with the Armorall, and we've had a couple-three dust-storms recently. Once Jessie gets it home and cleans it up; I'm sure there will be a few (hundred) pictures she can upload to one of our photobucket accounts.

• Sponsors (?)

:rlaugh: I guess you've got one up on me for that one :D

sounds a bit like my vintage 1989 cevy celebrity. 0-60 is a blazing 14 seconds and the top speed is around....to tell you the truth, I have no idea, the spedo only goes up to 85, and that takes about a mile to get there.

considering the stang get up to about 90-ish on the 1/4 just don't tell dad that :)

haha man its a good thing she doesnt really care about performance. if i were her i'd be pretty disappointed. i can understand your concern and all but, since when is a lawn mower engine strapped to a shopping cart with milk jug body panels safe?

Actually, Jessie doesn't mind the "non-performance" aspect of the vehicle. She's indicated she know that I won't be screaming and displaying the veins in my forehead and neck when I discover that she has roasted the rear tires down to the cords (like she did in 8 months driving the Ram) on this one; because she can't roast them! (Besides which, P205/75/15's -even Yoko Geolanders- are much cheaper to replace than 265/70/17 Michelin XC LT4's!)
As well, she feels that she'll be "more in control" with the exterior body panels so much closer to/visible from the driver's seat than she has in either the Ram or the F150 4x4.
She's also aware that "the mean Old Man" has told her she's buying her own gas - one of the first things she told me based on her own research of the car was the EPA mileage estimates.

As to the "milk-jug body panels"; this one is a first-gen Sidekick... no plastic fenders/doors here. They're all recycled Green Giant Bean cans! From a purely safety aspect; this car is no less safe than an early Mustang (there's a driver's Air Bag along with the mandated 3-point belts); and probably safer than a Civic (not a unibody). Sit's low enough to be a reduced rollover hazard compared to a Jeep YJ or TJ......
On that last thought; I rolled up on an accident 5 blocks from our house on a major arterial road last week. Northbound Acura made a sharp left turn in front of a southbound '98-03 Expedition. From what I could tell of the aftermath, the Expy launched itself over the hood of the Acura; and landed in the westbound lane of the cross-street in time to hit the center median. Flipped itself over and landed on its head in the eastbound lanes. Airbag-deployment injuries in the Acura; 2 trauma cases and one DOA in the Expy
When it's "your time"....... :shrug:

I want to see a fart can & wing on the sidekick!
Let's see some pics of a fart-can and wing on the Z-Tec for inspiration! :D

Oh and I fixed your other statement for veracity:
(and soon my driveway will become home to the rusty GM Musclecar!)

Coulda had a desert GM Musclecar........
but nooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo :nonono: :nonono:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He wants to use MY car which HE keeps taking without asking... :mad: He can pre-rice his own Cobra for his little StangNet skirmishes and leave MY 'Z' out of it... Poopy face could have taken the Cobra or the Motorcycle to work today since it was so nice out today but he griped that 40 degrees was too cold this morning for either. (And yet he takes the Cobra to breakfasts in late fall when it's just as cold or colder). The 'Z' is offically mine some time around Friday and senior Poopy face El-Chepo Dan isn't going to be taking 'him' anywhere else... ISH MIIIINNNNE.
I was gonna practice in it today too... But lo and behold when I came home from school his truck was here and the 'Z' gone! :chair: