Spray Painting advice?

Nik_95Cobra

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Tempe, Arizona
Hey ya'll, I need to repaint a front spoiler for one of my other cars (Daily Driver), and I can't decide if I just want to try to do it myself with spray paint or if I want to pony up like $200 to have it repainted (instead of waiting til I get the entire car repainted which this can get me by) How many of you spray painted something and had it come out looking good? The Spoiler is made of flexible ABS plastic, I was considering just using Krylon Fusion, color's a close match...But I don't want it to peel and crack in 2 months. Allrighty let me know thanks...:D

• Sponsors (?)

Spray painting is very easy if you know how to do it, heres my method:

Lay the item long ways:
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]

then spray from one end to the other starting 3inches to the left, then going to 3inches past the right.
after you hit the right, let go of the 'button' and start over, just wherever your spray didnt touch, try not to overlap toooo much......make any sense???

super302 said:
Spray painting is very easy if you know how to do it, heres my method:

Lay the item long ways:
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]

then spray from one end to the other starting 3inches to the left, then going to 3inches past the right.
after you hit the right, let go of the 'button' and start over, just wherever your spray didnt touch, try not to overlap toooo much......make any sense???

:stupid:

automotive paint stores will mix factory colors in a spray can for ya and they will also mix clear in spray can to.pull the paint code and have them mix it for ya dont use crayola crap.

I spray paint EVERYTHING. I haven't had anything turn out bad yet. The key with plastic is the prep (clean with alcohol, or equivalent), prime (atleast two coats), and don't let it get too wet (paint). You can always get a spot on the next coat. If you get a run or some bubbles, let the paint set up for a couple days so it has a chance to get hard. Try to buff out, or lightly sand the areas, and then soak it with clear.
Brandon

I read somewhere to let the cans soak in hot water before you start. It helps even out the paint better. (something about the paint atomizing in the can or something). And use one of those can holders that you only have to squeeze. Your thumb won't get sore and it helps get a even coat on.