Springs

meltmanbob

Dec 18, 2002
san diego CA
I know this has been posted about and I have been reading all threads I can find but a lot of peoples opinions don't agree and some info is missing. So I would like to try and compile as much info in one thread as possible, any input is appreciated.

From my reading it looks like there are 4 main choices, Eibach Pro or Sports or FordMotorSport B or C spring. Check this out but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Eibachs site says that both the Pro's and Sport's are progressive which contradicts some of the posts I've been reading that the Pro's are progressive but the Sport's are fixed rate. From that chart it appears that the Sports just have a higher top end spring rate.

The Sports are the only spring with a different rear spring rate based on the chart in the link. They have a lower bottom end spring rate but the top end spring rate is almost the same as the other 3 springs (295 vs 300).

The Pro's are supposed to give a 1.5" drop all around but on Eibach's site they say it should give 1.2"-1.5" front and 1"-1.5" rear drops. Can anyone clarify?

Based on the chart, the FMS B and Pro's have the same progressive rates front and back but the difference is the B's lower 1.5" front and .75" rear where as the Pro's are 1.5" all around.

The FMS C's are the only ones with a fixed rate on the front. The Sport's low end spring rate on the front is the same as the Pro's and B's but it's top end spring rate is closer to the C's fixed rate (630 vs 650).

Eibach claims that their springs perform at the lower spring rate on the first few inches of travel an then tighten up for better handling when pushed.

My interpretation of the end result between the springs is the Pro's won't handle as well as the Sports because of their lower top end rate but for everyday driving the quality should be almost the same since they have the same lower end spring rate. I actually think the Sport's would have a better ride quality for the rears because of their lower bottom end rate. The Sports should tighten up the ride more quickly because they have a higher top end so the rate changes faster than the Pro's but also because they lower the car more which means there is less room for compression.

Based on everything I've read so far it looks like if someone wants a fixed rate spring the C's are the only ones. The main difference between the B's and Pro's is the Pro's give a bit more drop all the way around so if you want a little lowering, more in the front than the back the B's are the answer. If you want a somewhat larger drop but more of an equal drop front to back get the Pro's. If you want more of a drop and something that has the same if not better low end rates get the Sports. Their rears have a top end equivalent to the rest and the fronts have top end almost as high as the C's so you get the best of both worlds in terms of quality of ride every day yet the better handling out of the bunch when you push you car.

Anyone have additional info, comments, suggestions or corrections?

• Sponsors (?)

On this site it shows the 4cyl stock springs being 370 for the front and 160 for the rear on an 87.

That means that the B's, Pro's and Sport's are about 14.85% more stiff on the front at the lower rate. The B's and Pro's top end on the fronts is about 43.24% more stiff. The C's are about 75.68% more on the fronts and the Sports top end is about 70.27% more stiff.

For the rears the B's C's and Pro's are about 25% more stiff on the low end rate and about 87.5% more stiff on the high end. The Sports are about 12.5% softer on the low rate in the rear and about 84.34% more stiff on the top end.

So far it seems like the Sport's would give the best quality of ride and have one of the best handling capabilities but it does drop the car the most.

Pro Kit Specs

Stock front rate 370
Stock rear rate 160

Front spring rate 396-628
Rear spring rate 142-205-296

323mm uncompressed
246mm at static ride height
77mm compression installed

progressive transition @ 224mm

22mm compression before reaching final spring rate
~40mm travel at the wheels