Stage 2 trickflow cam

BLK3DGT

Feb 22, 2006
I have a 91 Mustang 302 bored out to .030 (306) The rest of the block is stock except for the new probe pistons. It has the trickflow heads, stage 1 cam with the street intake. 24lb injectors, 73 mass air (C&L) 70 mm accufab tb, BBK cold air kit, 5 speed, eec-iv computer. N/A. Had a Programable mass air meter, 75 mm on the car and it was running too fat. Took it off and put C&L back on.

Last month I installed the trickflow stage 2 camshaft. Still had the street intake on the engine and I went to the track and the car lost 3-4 mph and a couple of tenths. I noticed the exhaust gas temperatures (EGT) were low going through the traps. I usually run around 1500 degrees at top end with the stage 1 cam.

The stage 2 cam was running around 1200 degrees. Is the car running rich (too fat) I lowered the fuel pressure to 36 psi, but did not help much, was still showing low egt's. Too much fuel and not enough air?

It was a hot day and not the best for racing, but the car should have picked up somewhere, not slow down! Car ran better with old set up.

Anyone running the trickflow stage 2 camshaft having this problem. You probably wouldn't notice it on the street, as it felt really strong at low end and I did have good EGT temps around town.

Crane cam said this cam is too big for the eec-iv and too look into a engine management system.

Do I need engine management to run this cam? I would like to purchase the upper manifold track 2, but not if I still need engine management.

I also been told to change the intake to Edlebrock performer II, but the trickflow set up does run good!
Thanks,
BLK3DGT

Best time on the car was a 12:71 @ 107.94 with 4:10s back in March. Nice cool day!

• Sponsors (?)