starter index plate - VERY URGENT

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
Okay, here's the deal. I pulled my A4LD yesterday at my buddy's shop (lift and air :nice: ) and we were getting ready to install the T5 when we realized that the starter index plate (the plate that goes between the bellhousing and block) isn't the right one. It fits on most of the holes, but there are two near the top that don't have corresponding holes on the bell, and a tab on the driver side bottom that doesn't correspond either. Also, the indentation at the very bottom doesn't fit the one in the block - the plate won't fit flush. I'd post pictures, but my DSL modem decided to take a **** on me Friday night and I'm posting this from the libary. :rolleyes: So my question is twofold - what plate do I likely have? And, does anyone have a plate they could overnight to me? I will pay for the shipping and a reasonable price for the plate, but I need to have it ASAP because my car is sitting tranny-less at the VW dealership and I'm driving my family's 220K mile '85 Accord (very gingerly). Since I have no way to respond to PM's or emails until hopefully tomorrow, if you have any input or have a plate that will DEFINITELY fit a '92 T5 cable bellhousing to a '92 n/a 2.3 block, please call me on my cell at *edited* ;). Thanks!!!

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

Asha'man said:
Okay, here's the deal. I pulled my A4LD yesterday at my buddy's shop (lift and air :nice: ) and we were getting ready to install the T5 when we realized that the starter index plate (the plate that goes between the bellhousing and block) isn't the right one. It fits on most of the holes, but there are two near the top that don't have corresponding holes on the bell, and a tab on the driver side bottom that doesn't correspond either. Also, the indentation at the very bottom doesn't fit the one in the block - the plate won't fit flush. I'd post pictures, but my DSL modem decided to take a **** on me Friday night and I'm posting this from the libary. :rolleyes: So my question is twofold - what plate do I likely have? And, does anyone have a plate they could overnight to me? I will pay for the shipping and a reasonable price for the plate, but I need to have it ASAP because my car is sitting tranny-less at the VW dealership and I'm driving my family's 220K mile '85 Accord (very gingerly). Since I have no way to respond to PM's or emails until hopefully tomorrow, if you have any input or have a plate that will DEFINITELY fit a '92 T5 cable bellhousing to "a '92 n/a 2.3 block, please call me on my cell at 303-523-8876. Thanks!!!

Brian

I posted this on turboford.org also for ya just to see if you can get one quicker with more people. This only reply I got so far.

"He could take the T5 bell off and take it to a local salvage yard and match one to it. "

"The bolts that hold the T5 and bell together can be a bear to remove, use a 3/8" drive 15mm 6point shallow socket with 6" extension. Also use a cheater bar on the ratchet, they usually pop when they work loose."

Hope it helps out :D

:lol: I posted it on TF.O as well, guess I should've mentioned that. :doh: Got a phone call from Joe Morgan a few minutes ago, and he said I can cut whatever doesn't fit away, as long as the starter is still indexed right and there's still a 0.080" spacer between the block and bell. Thanks anyway. ;)

Ash

Asha'man said:
:lol: I posted it on TF.O as well, guess I should've mentioned that. :doh: Got a phone call from Joe Morgan a few minutes ago, and he said I can cut whatever doesn't fit away, as long as the starter is still indexed right and there's still a 0.080" spacer between the block and bell. Thanks anyway. ;)

Ash

Great !!

Here's something interesting I figured out last night, working on the car. I ended up using the A4LD starter plate, it was almost a direct fit. All I had to do was cut out a notch for the bottom left hole. If anyone has a picture of a plate (I forgot to take one before it went on the car), I can diagram. Good to know for those who plan to T5 swap!

Ash

Asha'man said:
Here's something interesting I figured out last night, working on the car. I ended up using the A4LD starter plate, it was almost a direct fit. All I had to do was cut out a notch for the bottom left hole. If anyone has a picture of a plate (I forgot to take one before it went on the car), I can diagram. Good to know for those who plan to T5 swap!

Ash

To bad you didn't take a pic :(
I'm about to do this swap.