Starter noise

larsnuhsaq

Apr 8, 2005
Arkansas
Hey guys, gettin back in the Stang game after a brief hiatus.

Bought a 93 2.3 5spd driver. The starter worked fine, but it sounded as if the bendix was sticking, as it made the familiar noise about 2 secs after start-up. I assumed it was the starter, so while I was swithcing out for a new clutch, I replaced the starter. Same result. Next I replaced the solenoid, again same result.
Is it possible the new starter is just a dud, or is there something in the wiring or perhaps ignition switch I am missing.
My searches on other posts turned up some answers, but I wondered if anyone had this specific problem.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

hmmmm flywheel what did it look like? change the solenoid cheap 15-20 bucks they start sticking first and usually best to replace when you replace the starter just to kill 2 birds with one stone....

The flywheel is different, teeth are OK, and the starter and solenoid are both brand new.
It had this same problem before and after the clutch install. I did not see any wires crossed or damaged in the ignition, either.
There has to be a simple solution, I'm pretty sure I'm just missing something.

I have a 93 lx with the same problem. I replaced the flywheel, starter, ignition switch, and solenoid. still does it, drives me nuts. thought about shimming the starter away from the bell housing but I'm afraid I'd ruin the teeth from not getting a full tooth engagement. So I live with it. any help out there??