steering rack

98CobraClone

Feb 28, 2003
Ripley, Ohio
I just got my flaming river manual steering rack and the shaft that the steering knuckle bolts to is about 1/4" inch smaller than the factory. Does anybody stock these that will bolt to a II steering shaft? It's all toothed on both sides, and I could probably get something to work temporarily, but I don't want to half a$$ my steering.............

• Sponsors (?)

The factory manual rack has the small input also.

If you can't find the factory parts you might need to get the aftermarket parts to go between the rack and colum.

Yeah, that's the problem. Factory, the car came with power steering. I was having too much trouble trying to find the lines that fit the rack, so I figured I would just give the power rack to my brother, Stang2Man, and get a manual rack, but now I'm having some more trouble.

But it's a 9/16" - 26 spline shaft on the rack, and I need to adapt it to the rag style mount.

dmoody said:
Flaming River has what you need. I forget the part number but they have it listed under 79-86 Mustangs if I remember correctly.

d

I choke when I see the prices of the joints.

Could wrap as much $$ into eliminating the rag joint as buying the rack. Something doesn't seem right about that.

MadMark said:
I choke when I see the prices of the joints.

Could wrap as much $$ into eliminating the rag joint as buying the rack. Something doesn't seem right about that.

I paid $79 for the joint from Flaming River. I thought it was overpriced but finding II's in junkyards around here is almost impossible.

d

I have yet to find trouble with ordering P/S lines through either NAPA, CSK Auto or even our local lower-end partshouse, Costless. Matter of fact, the last complete power rack I bought from CSK Auto ( i think, for about $150) was even in stock! :eek:

I'm thinking that you're gonna be doubble if not triple into that flaming river setup than what a little time hunting and costs for the replacement parts you needed before.

The particular piece that you need is one of the 2 pieces that make up the rag joint assembly. These pieces seperate when the two 3/8" threaded bolts are removed. Normally people just undo the one bolt that holds that rag joint assembly onto the splined part of the rack. Any year bobcat, Pinto or Mustang II with manual steering will work. The manual stuff in my fastback is actually out of an '80 Bobcat wagon. :nice:

I've been through 3 separate lines, ordering for 77, 78, and even 79 mustangs, trying to find the lines to fit it. I couldn't get anything that would thread in, to the rack and it just got to me too much, so I decided to go manual, not knowing what other problems I would have.

I think I've finally got the part ordered from jegs, that will bolt to the 9/16" splined shaft and adapt to the rag joint. I guess I'll let everyone know how it goes.

If nothing else, Stang2Man just got a power steering rack for christmas

98CobraClone said:
I've been through 3 separate lines, ordering for 77, 78, and even 79 mustangs, trying to find the lines to fit it. I couldn't get anything that would thread in, to the rack and it just got to me too much, so I decided to go manual, not knowing what other problems I would have.

I think I've finally got the part ordered from jegs, that will bolt to the 9/16" splined shaft and adapt to the rag joint. I guess I'll let everyone know how it goes.

If nothing else, Stang2Man just got a power steering rack for christmas

Pressure hose right?
I had the same trouble finding a line with the matching ends for the reman racks. I have the part number for the hose I usedout in the garage (I hope), I think it was a 79 part # but don't remember off the top of my head. Seems there were different style pumps and they didn't use the same lines :shrug: I ended up cutting off the flare getting a correct size fitting and then re-flared the end of the line with the new fitting installed.

Yes, there are two different styles of fittings that are used on our P/S racks. Flare nut and another style that utilizes an o-ring on a later-model type flare. I have yet to pin down the exact cutoff year for the change or the particular application. I know my '78s have the o-ringed flare and that was the one I bought right over the counter at Schucks (CSK Auto).

Just an update:
I got the rack installed after getting off work

For anyone else that is interested, I had to grind the round input shaft into a D shape to fit the flaming river flange. I'm still using the rag joint, now I get to tackle the mess of wiring that the previous owner did over 10 years ago

finally found the boxes in the mess of a garage

Return line was napa part # 7012019 generic p/s return line. used to replace the end from the rack to my p/s cooler's hard line,

and NPS71677 for the pressure line. Lists for the 4 and V8s FROM 7-6-77 on up

don't know why I thought it was for something other than the II, but I did have the same problem where the pressure line wouldn't fit in the reman rack that replaced the original one on the car.:shrug: