Stereos working, but

Discussion in '1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech' started by jeffnoel, Dec 2, 2003.

1. jeffnoel

jeffnoel Founding Member

OK now that I have the unit wired correctly, the cassette decks face is smaller(shorter) than the factory 8-track. The faceplate that came with the Kenwood doesn't quite cover the old hole, there's about 3/8" gap above the faceplate. Is there somewhere I can get a larger faceplate or do I need to fabricate something?
  2. TIGGER

TIGGER Founding Member

If I remember correctly, the 8-track faceplate has a larger opening than the standard am-fm faceplate. You might try and see if the standard radio opening is smaller.
  3. Turbo II

Turbo II Founding Member

I recall running into the same problem when I first got my II (back in '85?) At that time you could buy a "filler" piece made of black flexible vinyl. It was textured to match the dash and looked ok. I looked around today in my parts bin but couldn't find it :( There is a surplus shop that I frequent that used to have "stereo installation kits" with a bunch of different faceplate fillers..I'll keep my eyes out for one.
  4. jeffnoel

jeffnoel Founding Member

Any help would be appreciated.
  5. brendank69

brendank69 Founding Member

I have a filler plate from a cd deck. Im not sure if it is the same dimensions but it should be. If you want it email me your address and you can have it.

Brendan
  6. jeffnoel

jeffnoel Founding Member

Thanks, but I don't think the filler for a CD player would work with a cassette deck. The piece needs to be about 3.5" by 7" with a cutout for a post mount cassette player.