Stock Valve Covers...Important question..

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Ok heres the deal...my stock valve covers for my 1990 5.0...
I'm getting them custom painted...and I need to know if the Oil Fill tube on the pass. side valve cover is removable and/or able to be put back in. It seems like it is pressed in. They need that out to do the work I want done to it.
Has anyone ever taken one out...and/or does anyone at all kno if you can buy just that tube to replace it if you mangle the old one up tryhing to get it off? I would think they would sell it becaue what if that wold break or something?
I need some help please..thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I notice on mine a tiny bit of oil seep at the base where it protrudes from the cover. So I presume it is some sort of press fit; but I've never looked at it to see if it could be removed or not. Often those interference fits are not designed to be removed without, as you so aptly put it, tearing something up. I'd be careful. Can't you mask around, or alter the pattern to allow for the filler tube?

first call up a ford dealership and ask to order the fill neck for the valve covers. if the say there is not a part number for that or it is not replaceable, then you can purchase my extra set for $10 plus shipping and experiment. i just looked at mine and it has a lip on both side so its not just pressed in i think its kinda molded in but replaceable somehow.

not removeable unless you don't mind oil leaking all over your nicely painted v/c... It won't reseal.... I just had to buy a used set to replace the ones I f--up...... do what you like, but it cost me $40.00 of a mistake and alot of time....,, of you put that breather on there it will puke oil, that's what I did and it was bad......