stupid question - hood pins??

bluextc

Feb 12, 2006
South Jersey
I finally decided on a hood, I'm gettin the Cervini's cowl instead of the Steeda, mainly because I live close enough to them to drive down and pick it up, which saves alot on shipping. Anyway, whenever I look at these hoods, they usually say "hood pins recommended". Will I need hood pins? I don't remember seeing them on any of your cars, and the Cobra that's parked next door to my job every day doesn't have them, and he just got a new hood... so I was wondering if the "recommended" is b/s or not...

• Sponsors (?)

it is recomended but not completely necessary. personally i hate the way they look so i didnt use them. i have had my car to 150 mph and the hood is still on, so i guess the latch is good. anyways it is a personal preferance. the pins would add a margin of safety but its really up to you

Thank you. I really didn't want to go with them, because honestly, I'd be embarrassed. My car's not that modded and I think it would make me look like kind of a ricer if I put them on a car that's not that fast.

There is nothing rice about hood pins unless they are stick on. They actually serve a purpose. Most people with aftermaket hoods have them, I do because when I first installed the hood it would move a little at speeds and I just figured for $25 I would play it safe. I have 5" moroso pins and they barely stick over the hood. It looks fine.

That wasn't meant as an insult, I actually like the way hood pins look, but when I see a car with hood pins, I usually think it's probably got a lot of mods, and pretty fast, and then I look at my car, with almost nothing :( , and thought I'd look ridiculous when someone asks "whatcha got under the hood" and I answer "mostly stock" :D

bluextc said:
Thank you. I really didn't want to go with them, because honestly, I'd be embarrassed. My car's not that modded and I think it would make me look like kind of a ricer if I put them on a car that's not that fast.

Yeah but with a cowl hood people are thinking you got a blower under the
hood anyway, might as well add the pins to ice the cake!

streethorse said:
Yeah but with a cowl hood people are thinking you got a blower under the
hood anyway, might as well add the pins to ice the cake!

Getting the cowl hood now because my husband offered to buy me a hood as a gift, instead of the usual jewelry :D . At the same time, I was told I have to wait for a blower until the car is paid off. I'm willing to take what I can get when I can...

Wierd,hood pins are rice :shrug: .I thought they were used for function :eek: .
Maybe i was wrong...LOL!!!
If you are a cruising kind've guy,i wouldn't worry about the pins,but if you are the speed freak,and use your stang for the drag sport,and road coarse sport,i think they will do you wonders in the safety,and dollars if the hood decided to fail and open up on you and hit up against your windshiled,and roof. :nice:
I just ordered the a Steeda Q hood,and i plan on installing the hood pins when i put the hood on,especially when i take my stang on to a 6 hour haul on the highway every summer,plus i like to drag race ,and plus i love my investment of a stang to much to let something as stupid as wondering if hood pins are rice to faq up my stang.Like i've said.I've seen a few hoods pop on a few stangs a few times,the after math was not pretty.That right there sold me for when that day comes when i buy a cowl hood,which like i said,is on order. :)

1low03gt said:
Wierd,hood pins are rice :shrug: .I thought they were used for function :eek: .

Nope, I think I just typed that too quick and it didn't come out right. I DON'T think hood pins are rice, I was trying to find out if I needed them. As I keep saying in alot of my posts, I am new to modding a car, and also a girl, so my dad had no desire to teach me anything about cars growing up :( . That's why I come to StangNet. Slapping them on my stock hood would be rice (just my opinion), as they'd be unneccessary and trying to make the car look like it's faster than it is. If I need them, I'm getting them, that's why I asked :)

Yea I got them with my Cervini's Stalker hood, but at the last minute I called the body shop and said not to put them on, because Cervini's hoods latch perfectly and you don't need them. So I have brand new Ford Racing hood pins sittin here...lol

i use them on my stock hood. id recommend them on any hood thats not metal.

my buddies 95 hood latch cracked and flew off on the freeway.

ever gone against the wind at 80mph with a stock hood(with the scoop)? its kinda scary with it wobbling up and down with the wind. i got hood pins to go with the Eleanor look, but i installed them when the car was still full black and loved them. and i feel alot better knowing theyre there.

thomas91169 said:
i use them on my stock hood. id recommend them on any hood thats not metal.

Thomas91169...any full-size pics? :)

To me, the sheer amount of time/effort it takes to install real hood pins (correctly) adds a significant non-rice measure.

I've got an FRPP set that I'm debating installing on my stock hood. I run my Mustang at track days a few times a year, and at those speeds, anything that increases the margin of safety seems worth it to me.

Even more so than at the drag track, when you're on a road course in a pack of fast-moving cars, things like this can be very dangerous.