Sub mix up what would you do?

y2k2GT

Mar 1, 2007
Moyock, NC
So I ordered some more stereo equip for the stang, got 2 jl amps (HD 750 and 600) and 2 10w6. The tens were off amazon. Well the company sent me 2 12w6, not what I want but got them both for less than $600(man they are badass). Any how, I really don't want to kill the trunk but I know I got a great deal. Could sell them and get the 10's but not sure. Should I put them in the car? Has any one run 12's without killing the trunk space. Any pics of 12's in a trunk would be good. I know some aren't into stereos, but I don't race it, just show it. Let me know what you think.

• Sponsors (?)

I run a set of 2 12's and still have some useful trunk space. The deal on the set up was just too good. Got both subs and an amp for 50 bucks. I made the box and did the install myself. Those subs are amazing by the way..

Dragstrip003.jpg

Dragstrip005.jpg

In my 98 gt I had two tens cause I didn't think I could get two twelves to fit. There is only like ten and three quarters on an inch between the trunk floor and the bottom of the mach 460 speaker box. With the two tens you can still fit a couple golf bags across the front of the trunk. JL subs are da ****. Nice choice. If you can get them to fit then I would keep them.

If I ever get a stereo in my Bullitt it is going to be a ten or eight inch square solo-baric. My friend had a six in his single cab s-10 and you could hear him coming for miles. It was amazing. And so small.

I have 2 12" subs in my trunk. They came already in a box (a special from Circuit City (RIP) that had a 1000 watt amp, 2 12"s, and the box for $120; I couldn't turn it down). The box is slanted down towards the back, so it actually fits a good ways back into the car under the Mach 460 amp platform.

Here some pics. Please excuse the junk in my trunk. :D

1001998u.jpg

1001999j.jpg

As you can see, there is about 16 inches between the sides and the back of the car. There is only about 8 or so between the back of the box and the back of the back seats, but that was just perfect for me to mount the amp, and to put random stuff like Maglights or car care products.

One important piece of advice: be sure to either mount the subs into the trunk like Antirice's are, or somehow secure them like I have mine with bungie straps. The first time I nailed the gas with mine in, they flew to the back of the trunk tearing every speaker wire out of the back of the box on the way.:rolleyes: Definitely keep that in mind.

And one more thing. I get more compliments about my radio/speaker system than anything else about the car. So I definitely recommend doing something to making it sound good. :nice:

-Will

I used to have a pair of Phoenix Gold 12's in my 95 and trust me, you'll be deaf in no time flat. :nice:

If you decide to use them, some boxes won't fit through the trunk opening and you have to remove the rear seats, so you can slide them in that way. I also had to remove my Mach 460 enclosure, so the box would fit.

I used to have a pair of Phoenix Gold 12's in my 95 and trust me, you'll be deaf in no time flat. :nice:

If you decide to use them, some boxes won't fit through the trunk opening and you have to remove the rear seats, so you can slide them in that way. I also had to remove my Mach 460 enclosure, so the box would fit.

I will build my own box, and I think I can get it in alright. I'm also thinking about removing the enclosure to make more room. I'll be able to make it taller and narrower, need 1.25" cu ft for the JL's. If I had the 10's I would only need .625" but since they goofed I have to go bigger. Thanks for the pics guys, it's given me some Ideas.

Is there really a need for any thing we do to our cars? just want to see if its been done and how it turned out. I might put only one in it and maybe the other behind the passenger seat of my Lightning. Just tosing around some ideas.

Well I sold the 12's and bought 2 10's. Got the box built and everything installed and man does this thing rock. The HD amps may be small but they are loud and clean. And the subs hit hard, So far I'm very pleased, still playing around with it. I Removed the mach enclosure and made a new panel and carpeted it. Everything came together real well and looks great.

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

IMG_3916.jpg