suede headliner install help/opinion

i just got dark charcoal suede to redo my headliner in my 03. my plan is to wrap the a-pillars and obviously the headliner, maybe do the shift boot/parking brake and maybe steering wheel too?

first question, my original headliner is fine, should i just cover the existing stock headliner? i feel like if i take the old headliner off, it will leave a bunch of imperfections that won't smooth over without refoaming everything as well, but if i just cover the existing headliner, the extra weight may pull the stock headliner down and make it sag... what are your thoughts

i can only find pictures of over the top suede headliners with tv's and neon lights everywhere, anyone have normal re-do pictures. i think it will look good, especially if/when i can get charcol cobra seats, but just curious if anyone else has done it.

any help on redoing headliner/ how to's, do's and don'ts, etc i would really appreciate

• Sponsors (?)

I like the idea of a suede head liner. If it were me, I wouldn't do the A pillars. IMHO, I think it looks cheesy, kinda like a bad street rod interior. I would just leave them the same. If you pull the headliner off the backboard Just take your time and go slow. Maybe use some very fine sandpaper to remove the foam and residue. I would love to see pics one you get it figured out and done.

IDK, I always wanted to do that to my Cobra. I love that in Itallian cars and the higher end German cars. I want to do my head liner, a,b and c pillars all in suede. Then do the dash in leather and the upper parts of the doors in leather with the center sections in suade.
I think that would give the car a very luxurious and soft interior :nice:
Also the arm rest in leather too. So th only exposed plastic parts in the car would be the air bags, gauge bezel and the stereo/shifter bezel.

I think the headliner, shift boot, e brake boot, and the carpeted part of the door panel done in suede would look pretty bad ass. I guess I'm a minimalist. I like the whole less is more school of thought. That's just my .02.

not at all actually, i got 4 yards of charcoal suede for $18. got it from an ebay seller, there are a few on there, i got samples from a couple different ones, and some of them were complete junk. my friend bought light gray suede for his car at $15 per yard from a fabric store and it's just as nice as his (4 yards for $18, he got 4 yards for $60, still not too bad). just make sure to get a sample first b/c there is some junk out there too. the most expensive part is actually the glue, good 3m glue is about $22 a can! more than i have in suede

so i finally got it all out of the car, apparently ford does not want you doing this to your car. the stock headliner is the foam/fabric on a pressed cardboard backing, glued to plastic around the doors and then entirely glued, serious stuff, to the roof of the car. this does not peel off at all, you have to attack it. i spent a few hours prying the headliner out/off the roof but was able to get it all out in one intact peace so the backing is still good to re-use. the glue they used was like liqued nail or some crazy appoxy, any way by the time i got everything out i was too tired to start re-wrapping. so i'll hopefully get everything wrapped and back in tomorrow and then i'll put a few pictures