Suspension: Cobra Bilstein vs. Bilstein HD's

Quick question. Is there a difference between the stock Bilsteins that come on 03-04 Cobras and the Bilstein HD's you would buy online? The reason I ask is a friend is selling his stock Bilstein Shocks/Struts off his 03' Cobra with less than 10k on them. I have Tokico HP Blues in right now, with around 5k on them, but was thinking pf upgrading to these. I just wasnt sure if they were the same as the Bilstein HD's. Not sure if they are valved different, and since I am lowered if they would be of any good over my Tokicos.

Should I go with stock Cobra Bilsteins or keep my Tokico HP's? I have H&R Sports (1.6 Front, 1.5 Rear Drop), and MM C/C Plates.

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Blinkstang said:
Quick question. Is there a difference between the stock Bilsteins that come on 03-04 Cobras and the Bilstein HD's you would buy online? The reason I ask is a friend is selling his stock Bilstein Shocks/Struts off his 03' Cobra with less than 10k on them. I have Tokico HP Blues in right now, with around 5k on them, but was thinking pf upgrading to these. I just wasnt sure if they were the same as the Bilstein HD's. Not sure if they are valved different, and since I am lowered if they would be of any good over my Tokicos.

Should I go with stock Cobra Bilsteins or keep my Tokico HP's? I have H&R Sports (1.6 Front, 1.5 Rear Drop), and MM C/C Plates.

Thanks for the help!
The Rear 03 cobra shocks only work on IRS.

The front struts will work fine for your car, and according to MM they are valved better than the 00 Cobra R struts (which I run). With 10k on them, they hold up fine. Bilstein ***** has a lifetime warranty for a reason.

Wade

wms004 said:
The Rear 03 cobra shocks only work on IRS.

The front struts will work fine for your car, and according to MM they are valved better than the 00 Cobra R struts (which I run). With 10k on them, they hold up fine. Bilstein ***** has a lifetime warranty for a reason.

Wade

Thanks for the info! I forgot about the IRS. So I think I will get the front struts from my friend, and then buy the rear Bilstein HD's from Maximum Motorsports. I should be able to cover the cost of the rear shocks by selling my Tokicos.

Ok I just got this info from the Ford site on the stock Cobra front struts:

2003/2004:

Front:

Modified MacPherson strut system with gas-charged Bilstein™ monotube dampeners and separate 600 lb/in (500 lb/in on convertible) spring on lower arm.

So is this still comprable to the Bilstein HD's they sell? And will it fair better than my current Tokicos with my 1.6 inch drop up front?

I just want to make sure I am going to a better strut and not giving up my Tokicos if these are not going to be of better quality.

Thanks!

Blinkstang said:
?

I also read the ride is a lot harsher with the Bilsteins in recent threads. Do you basically feel every bump in the road? Id imagine they have to be somewhat better that my Tokicos?
The ride honestly isn't all that harsh. It's obviously a little stiffer, and you feel the road a bit more, but I think they are very comfortable to ride with. :nice:

I need to go and look at my old bilsteins. They were MUCH harder to compress by hand and had a different part # than the OE/cobra ones.

:scratch:
I wonder what the hell I was running for 2 years. I'll try to find out what the part # was so you don't make the same mistake I did.

Blinkstang said:
?

I also read the ride is a lot harsher with the Bilsteins in recent threads. Do you basically feel every bump in the road? Id imagine they have to be somewhat better that my Tokicos?
I went from bullitt springs and tokico shocks to H&R SuperRace Springs (stiffest ones they make) and Bilstein HD's in the rear. Ride quality improved. Bilstein makes the best dampers out there next to Koni.