Suspension Lift?

Riggs

Mar 31, 2005
Linden, NJ
I know this is like anti what everyone does but if it possible to raise the suspension on my mustang from the stock height? I was doing some research online to see if there are any kits out there but there seems to be nothing. Some people have put stock GT500 suspensions on their mustangs but weren't 100% sure if it raised the car any. I would like to raise it up a 3/4 inch to an inch.

• Sponsors (?)

probably gonna need a custom panhard bar made to lengthen, not shorten from stock. also, i doubt you will find a set of lift springs marketed for mustangs. gonna have to find a set made for something else and retrofit it, or have custom springs and shocks/struts made for this application.

looking at large amounts of green to accomplish this. you are better off slowing down a bit, and driving defensively to avoid these craters. also, write your department of roads and complain that they are not repairing the streets fast enough to avoid major damage to them and vehicles. do they use tar to seal cracks before winter comes? that is a huge improvement in itself. potholes are created when water gets into the cracks and freezes. the expansion causes the potholes to appear and even worsen. the tar seals out the water before it gets to this stage.

Yeah i'm aware how streets crack and all and its just dumb because they don't use tar they just fill the potholes every year in the same spot and in 6 months they are back again. They need to pave the whole street again. Jersey road depts aren't the best, atleast around here

A set of coil-overs with adjustable spring perches. Most are $1-2k. Then you'll need to get some longer coil-over springs from a company like Eibach, for around $150 a pair. You can just get the adjustable perch for the rears and not the new dampeners to save some.

I might be able to get someone to machine some spring seats for you out of a suitable material, but that's that hack way to do it. I would just drive as carefully as possible...
Dan

Here ya' go.

mustang_4X4.jpg

Seriously, though. If this is something you feel you must do, check with a shop that sets up "donks". They'll know what needs to be done. It'll look silly, seeing as they already sit too high. But that's a personal decision you'll have to make. Plenty of high dollar cars in Jersey, and I doubt any of them have lifted their vehicle because of the roads.

Attachments

• mustang_4X4.jpg
    mustang_4X4.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 5,869
So with the pot holes, as deep as you say they are, your car is bottoming out? Your front bumper is slamming in to the pavement? Really???

You could try putting some 19" wheels with 50 series rubber. that would give you an almost 1.5" lift.

Buy a truck or SUV if it's truly that bad though.

i hate to be a kill joy but i live in jersey and i know about bad road departments and i know these craters you speak of and i still dropped my car an inch and have not had a problem once with scraping now my 2 inch lowered focus with a mach 1 lip thats a different story plus i have the gt/cs package to make it even lower so i cant imagine your having that bad of problems but if your all gung ho about it just do what everyone else said something between 18 and 20 inch wheels and a slighlty larger tire size that should do it

Don't know if you have the 17" stock wheels or the 18" stock wheels, but if you are really worried, start with the 17" stockers and put a 235/60 tire (since it is for winter, a winter tire or good all-season) on it, it will give you a one inch larger tire, which raises the car a half inch. With a sidewall that tall, I would think the potholes wouldn't be a problem.

For a while there here in the Detroit area we were getting to where the top layer of the ashplalt was getting torn off in huge chunks, producing those huge potholes. I'm running snow tires that are slightly smaller than stock (225/55R17), and haven't had an issue.