swapping a 2.3T to my '93 N/A

Hi Everyone. I have been researching swaps for about a year now and have tried to narrow my choice between swapping in a 5.0 or a 2.3T. Something needs to be done because this stock little 4 banger just isnt cuttin it anymore. I was thinkin of using an '88 Turbo Coupe for the swap if I chose the 2.3t way and I just have a couple questions.

Stinger I read your page on 90-93 Mustang/Turbo Coupe wiring and got lost. If im puttin this engine in a 93 is it a lost cause? All the splicing and switching of wires got me all confused. If there is anyone that could dumb it down for me i would be very appreciative.

Thanks, Patrick :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

It's not as hard as it looks...unfortunately I already "dumbed it down" to a level I thought was suitable. I kinda figured if more simplification was needed then it probably shouldn't be attempted until you get a bit more knowledge.

Printing off the instructions and then taking them out to your car and doing a mock swap (look at all the wires that need to be changed, view where they are compared to where they need to go, etc.) will help you out alot.

Stinger

Stinger said:
It's not as hard as it looks...

This is very true... I got a 3 ring binder and printed everything off his site and put it in the binder with deviders for each topic. Once you take one section at a time it really don't look that bad :)

P.S. Shoot for a 87-88' TC for a donor car :nice:

cool thanks for the help. Im starting to like the idea of a sleeper turbo 4 cylinder. The only thing is i love the sound of a 5.0. ill keep yall updated on what happens.

yea im lookin for an 87-88 tc. What is the best turbo for that engine? i heard the t3s are good.

I am currently "Borrowing" a friends 2.3T 93 for the week while he is in Panama Beach, Mine is 2.3 93 N/A and I am going to swap to the Turbo myself as soon as I can complete the engine rebuild. Anyways going from 105 hp to 270hp (with his mods) is like giving my 7 year old a credit card in a toy store. You will love the feel of the car and the new life from the engine. I was a die hard 5.0 converter until I started to read Stingers web site and I bug him regularly with dumb questions. Now I can not think of a good reason to go to the 5.0 anymore. I call the 5.0 "Me Too's" now. Everyone that I see has one and so does their brother hence the "Me Too" tag. Here is the very basic overall picture and argument. 5.0 cost more, takes more gas, is a lot more work to swap, and can become a complete nightmare way before the 2.3 t swap can be. Plus look at the beauty of the 2.3 T so many are doing this now because of 1. It is different, 2. It is easier then other types of swaps, 3. 95% of people who swap have a 2.3 in the car already so it can’t go any slower. 4. In the end you still have a 2.3l and the insurance isn’t going to change much (State Farm) plus here you can get good tech info and most of it is written already and tested for you and all you will have to do now is apply it. Like I said I was a DIE HARD 5.0 converter but I too came to the dark side and am building my own 2.3T

Question for stinger mainly
How much money did you put into your car to get that kind of power out of it or to the people that have similar results. I know that most of you got free or near ree once in a lifetime deals but i myself am not so lucky, so i was thinkin like to buy the motor do the swap then get some more power out of it. and to do it right not have a mickey mouse car.

What time frame are you looking at? Are you looking to place the motor once working into the car and mod it from there or are you going to open your wallet and build it up then drop it in? because you can get a complete running engine for around $450 if you look.

I have debated the 8.8 myself, but as others have told me and finally convinced me that the power that I am planning which is about 300 rwhp not more won’t break my 7.5. So in that I am going to just go to the rear disc upgrade and put in posi trac on it with a FMS driveshaft and use it unless I do break it. The argument will go on forever about the 7.5 vs. the 8.8, fact is you have the 7.5 now and you probably will not break it. Use the money for other mods. I am going the same route that you are talking about building it to work and drop it in then do more mods as I can.

I've got about 2300 in my drivetrain now (motor, trans, rear).

You can do the basic mods (boost controller, exhaust, k&n, etc.) and get a good running motor that will run with new GT's for an extra 300-500 bucks over the cost of the motor.

Stinger

Wow, that is a hell of alot cheaper than going with the 5.0 swap. I think i want to do it just to show other people in my town. I live in a town of around 20,000 people and i think there are only 10 to 20 people that drive mustangs and actually enjoy them. Everyone here seems to be interested in the so called "chevy V-8 power" and i get hassled about my car millions of times per day.

Well I am sorta looking for a new car and i have a certain passion for stangs and i was leaning in the direction of a 5.0 but maybe i will get rid of my car and try to find a 2.3 with a bad motor in it and go from there with the swap. I would use my car but it just needs way to much work put into, money that i dont have to spare.

this is great. im glad so many people responded to this. this has given me alot of insight and im gonna go for the SLEEPER 2.3T. Thanks alot.

Only problem is im a little slow when it comes to electrical and i dont know how im gonna do this wiring harness but ill manage (hopefully)

thanks again,

Patrick