sway bar bushing missing pic inside

oo7thenova

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2001
CALIFORNIA
Today I noticed underneath the car that the driverside part of the sway is missing the bushing.

take a look at the pic. My car makes poping noises when i go over bumps and holes in the front end. BTW the has 171,XXX maybe all if the bushings are bad.
should i buy the Energy hyperflex master Kit

thanks

Attachments

• P1010166.JPG
    P1010166.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 246
  • Sponsors (?)

I think removing it all together would be a bad idea.....Someone who tells you that there is little of no difference in handling is someone who only drives in strait lines? Removing the sway bar dramatically affects handling, cornering and braking. Especially with skinnies on the front! Sure it may not be all that noticeable while taking wide turns and putting around at low speeds, but that's really not when you've got to worry about it, is it? It's when you're going into a hair-pin corner at 70+mph just to find out there’s a car stopped on the other side. Trust me…ditching the sway bar at the track for weight transfer is fine, but doing it on the street is just begging for disaster!

As for a master bushing kit ….I’d just replace the sway bar bushings and end links with the polyurethane ones in the front and the upper/lower control arms in the rear. Unless you’re doing nothing but road courses, a full master kit will be too harsh for daily driving and will shake your fillings loose.

i dirve mine every day just like i used to with the bar on, and through one set of high speed twisties every day at about 60+mph. i don't regret taking it off one bit. i don't have skinnies, but i do have lowering springs and i think that helps in not noticing the bar is gone. i dont drive retarded fast but i don't drive as slow as my grandma either. i'm fine. i'd say take the s.o.b. off, but do what you want.

I'd say get replacement urethane bushings for the stock type brackets. The kind they sell as a complete assembly doesn't drop the bar enough. Atleast it didn't on mine.

Between using 'vert mounts (drops the engine in the chassis) & the energy suspension replacements, it rubbed a hole in my oil pan. So I fabricated some 1-1/2 aluminum mounts to drop it enough to clear the pan.

As far as loosing the bar or keeping it.... I like my turns at high speed, when even the bushing get worn... I can tell! Currently using FMS C springs, urethane end links & sway bar bushings, caster camber plates, time to work on the rear suspension now.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I think removing it all together would be a bad idea.....Someone who tells you that there is little of no difference in handling is someone who only drives in strait lines? Removing the sway bar dramatically affects handling, cornering and braking. Especially with skinnies on the front! Sure it may not be all that noticeable while taking wide turns and putting around at low speeds, but that's really not when you've got to worry about it, is it? It's when you're going into a hair-pin corner at 70+mph just to find out there’s a car stopped on the other side.

My car is far from being just a track car.. Its a daily driver in the summer.. I still do 80mph on the highway just like I used to do with the sway bar on.. I guess you just need to learn how to hanlde the car without one if people don't like it.. I know many people that drive their's daily with no sway bar and have no problems what so ever.. I just stated what I would do doesn't mean he has to ya know

Ok i will order the kit.

does anbody know if the sway bar bushings are greaseable or non greaseable??

i encountered that when i was ordering from summit.
and just to be sure the stock sway bar diameter is 1 5/16?

thanks