Synthetic Oil Question

• Sponsors (?)

Mobil 1 makes a fully synthetic 0w-20 weight motor oil. Its to be used in place of 5w-20. Royal Purple makes a full synthetic 5w-20 as well. I believe Amsoil does too but not 100 percent sure.

If you cant find any of theese, just use a 5w-30 weight. The viscosity differences between the two are minimal. Generally speaking, 5w-20 weight is better for winter and 5w-30 is better for more protection when its warmer.

I use Mobil One 5w-30 in both of my cars, never really gets too cold in Houston though. No problems with Mobil One what so ever, required in the vette. So I started my stang out with it also. :nice:

I used 5w30 Castrol Syntech in my 96 GT with wondefull results and 127,000 miles on it. The car now runs on Amsoil 5w30 and amsoil filters. The car used K&N oil filters or mobil one filters, bosch makes a good one too. Stay with the 5w30 Autzone sells 5w20 in Motorcraft OEM oil, but it's not always in every store.

Yes, with a GOOD synthetic it can last well over 20k miles (assuming the filter is changed as scheduled). Oil color is irrelevant, and only the dino juice dies quickly. Again, the ONLY way to tell if the oil needs to be changed is with an analysis.

I dont care what kind of oil you run, it isnt good to change your oil every 20,000miles!!!!!! Thats insane. Oil is supposed to be changed every 3,000 miles under NORMAL driving conditions. Normal in this case means that you dont flog the car too often and you spend half of your time on the freeway and the other half in the city stop and go driving. I change my oil every 2500miles. I work in a lube shop and it is amazing how people dont take car of their cars. A car came in the other day and it had been 35,000 miles since his last oil change. He said that he didnt know he needed to change it. When we added new oil he started smoking really bad out the tail pipe my best guess was he ruined his piston rings. It was on a 5.0 explorer. That just amazes me that people would go that long without changing their oil.