synthetic oil

jcp123

Nov 1, 2003
Tyler, TX
i've always thought synthetic oil was more hype than anything, and i never thought it was worth the extra cost. but, i changed my oil today to get rid of that awful fram filter (don't worry, it's got an autolite on there now :D ), and i decided to toss some mobil 1 in there.

let me tell you, this stuff is great! i got a nice SOTP torque and power gain, and slightly better responsiveness. i even chirped goin up the driveway at half throttle. i' can't normally do that with a C4, 2.73's, posi, and 245 tires @ half-throttle.

if anyone's been fence-sitting on whether or not to get synthetic, get it - don't think of it as an expensive oil, think of it as a cheap HP mod

• Sponsors (?)

With all my Jet Engine experience, I will have to agree it is going to make an improvement. I run this in all my stuff all the way down to my mowers and edgers and never had an oil related issue, and whenever I have needed to pull valve covers (adjustment), everything looks great.

I switched to full synthetic in my 7.3 turbo diesel Excursion and I couldnt believe the differents it made in the turbos ability to spool up faster. Before I switched it took the truck 50' or so to get moving (waiting on the turbo to spool up) on cold mornings but now it never acts as if the turbo is not working like it did before. I just am alittle nervous about putting it in my new stroker 347 until things seat up, especially since they (strokers) are more prone to oil control problems. Any thoughts on use at break in?

Clark said:
You are right on the money when it comes to break in periods on any rebuilt or new engine. Always just run a good petreoleum based oil first then switch over.

I always heard that & broke in my 428 with regular oil first as well.. But the mobil-1 one web site claims that it is a myth. There are a lot of stories going around about synthetics, who knows what's true.. I just switched before putting the car away for the winter & never had a chance to give it a good run, but it sure would be nice if I got a little extra boost from it. I don't know how realistic that is though.

yea its great and all but i thought that you have to gradually work your way upto synthetic. i think your supposed to use a synthetic blend for the first couple changes. thats what i have recently done, if not plz correct me.

RGS0907 said:
I always heard that & broke in my 428 with regular oil first as well.. But the mobil-1 one web site claims that it is a myth. There are a lot of stories going around about synthetics, who knows what's true.. I just switched before putting the car away for the winter & never had a chance to give it a good run, but it sure would be nice if I got a little extra boost from it. I don't know how realistic that is though.
It would be a marginal increase at most. Its simple physics.

When I switched engines I was having overheating problems with my big block. I changed the oil to synthetic and dropped the engine temp 15 degrees. I really didn't notice a power increase, but the temp benefit is well worth the extra money. Another benefit is the inside if the engine is cleaner. If you have to do any internal engine work, you won't have to spend extra time trying to clean off the baked-on oil film.