T 5 Fluid

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks pissedoff, I've done some reading on it and as far as I can tell it's not a problem to go from III to V. I'm installing a freshly rebuilt T-5 in my 90' and I ran out of Mercon III and have several quarts of the V on the shelf. I've always put in the III before. I forgot to ask the tech who rebuilt the tranny and I've always get good info here. I'm ready to fill it now, if the V messes up my tranny, I'm gonna be pissed off too.

Can I run Mercon V in a T5 trans instead of Mercon III ?
There's no such thing as Mercon III. There was Ford's Mercon, or Mercon V. And GM's Dextron III.

In any case, Mercon V is suposed to be backwards compatable with all tranmissions that ran the previous Mercon or Dextron III fluids although I would still personally only run one, or the other.

do not use mercon V, use the old dex/mercon ( advance auto part brand is perfectly fine ), back when I try find fluid for my T45 ( recomment mercon, I ask same question I can use mercon V, find out mercon V come out is support fix the shudder on automatic only. and do nothing to manual, and many having problem with mercon V on their old manual tranmission, I do run ole dex/mercon brand.

do not use mercon V, use the old dex/mercon ( advance auto part brand is perfectly fine ), back when I try find fluid for my T45 ( recomment mercon, I ask same question I can use mercon V, find out mercon V come out is support fix the shudder on automatic only. and do nothing to manual, and many having problem with mercon V on their old manual tranmission, I do run ole dex/mercon brand.

I had a pretty tough time reading that post, and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Reactions: 2 users
Stick with Dexron III/Mercon (regular ATF), it's been used in T5s for years with no problems (including my own). Mercon V would supposedly affect the blocking rings on the synchros in a weird way, but there's not much official documentation on this. Many people have used Mercon V and other sythentic fluids and said they have no problems, but for the price of 3 quarts of the regular stuff, might as well use something that Ford trusted in the first place.

Stick with Dexron III/Mercon (regular ATF), it's been used in T5s for years with no problems (including my own). Mercon V would supposedly affect the blocking rings on the synchros in a weird way, but there's not much official documentation on this. Many people have used Mercon V and other sythentic fluids and said they have no problems, but for the price of 3 quarts of the regular stuff, might as well use something that Ford trusted in the first place.

Yes this is what im try to say, mercon V is come out just for the automatic shudder problem ford having, its not made for older manual tranmission.

I'm pretty sure I would just trust Ford. The above poster is correct though, Ford came out with Mercon V for the hated "shudder" which worked really well for my Crown Vic's and Grand Marquis. I think it will work just fine in your T5. That's what I have in mine. I even changed the fluid in my power steering over to it, and it sure made it a lot quieter.

Thanks for the replies guys. I went with the Mercon V. The only problem I had was the defective second gear that broke under no load at all. Then I found out the supplier of the supplier that I got my gears from said they have recieved over 200 defective 2nd gears. I found a second gear that was "cyrogenically" treated and guaranteed not to fail. So far so good. I also replaced third gear and it is okay.

I wouldn't waste money on new style fluid for old technology. I had to buy V for my 06 Explorer when a trans line took a dump and it was $84.99 a case. I luckly got to return 4 quarts, but man what a rip off.