T-lok needed?

Calvin Hall

Oct 26, 2009
I have a 2002 v6 manual with stock 3.08 gears. i plan on getting 3.73 installed. I've talked to people and heard both sides: I need to get a new 7.5" t-lok along with the gears while others have said that the original t-lok is just fine... so my question. Do I get a new t-lok or stay with old one?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2002 v6 manual with stock 3.08 gears. i plan on getting 3.73 installed. I've talked to people and heard both sides: I need to get a new 7.5" t-lok along with the gears while others have said that the original t-lok is just fine... so my question. Do I get a new t-lok or stay with old one?

Yep, you need a tlok and 3.73 gear set that should include a notched cross pin. Don't forget the bottle of friction modifier. I also use synthetic gear oil as well. The 7.5 rear end didn't have a posi rear end. GT's came stock w/them but are 8.8 rear ends. You could get a rear end out of a GT and put in your car as well. The cost for a used one from a junk yard is about the same you'll spend for new gears /tlok/install labor. Gears need to be done right and you'd need some special tools and know how to do it yourself.