T5 Swap starter issues

WhoaPony

Mar 19, 2002
Raeford, NC
Ok, I had a T5 swap done on my 87 2.3. Well all went well except now when I start the car it sounds like metal grinding. So, I thought maybe the starter was shot and put a diffrent one in it and still got the same sound when starting. Does anyone have any ideas on what else to look for or try out? Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

well, I pulled the starter out and had it checked out. Turns out it sounded like a bunch of marbles in a tin can so I got a new one with LLW. Put the new one in and guess what, sound is still there, not as bad but still there. I checked the flywheel, no missing teeth but the motor side looks like the teeth are slightly chewed, very slight though. Am I gonna have to replace the flywheel now?

You never answered my question. Did you put the backing plate between the block and bellhousing?

At this point throwing starters and flywheels at it isn't going to solve the problem.

I'm guessing here, but the flywheel teeth are probably chewed up on the transmission side of the teeth.

Rustbucket, The backing plate is installed between the block and the bellhousing. The flywheel teeth are slightly chewed up on the motor side of the flywheel not on the transmission side. It almost looks as if the starter gear is hitting the flywheel as it comes out and not meshing properly.

. It almost looks as if the starter gear is hitting the flywheel as it comes out and not meshing properly.

That's exactly what's happening.

What I was originally thinking was that the starter was in too far and pushing the gear out past where it should be. If the wear is on the starter side, either the damage to the teeth is bad enough that the starter gear can't get past the burrs or the starter is too far out.

Now I'm wondering if I didn't speak too soon earlier. I don't want to see you drop the cash on a flywheel if you don't have to. I wish I could see the flywheel teeth to know for sure if they're bad. If you're a patient person, and the teeth are still whole with just some odd wear, you could dress the teeth with a file to clean them up. The old starter may have hurt them enough that the new starter won't engage properly.

When you throw the starter in the hole, does it go right in and sit in there flush or are you pulling it in with the bolts? Just wondering if there's something in the starter cone of the bellhousing that's messed up.

The starter will sit in its spot without needing the bolts to pull it in. The flywheel teeth are worn pretty good on the starter side, but just past that the teeth look flawless. Do you think after a couple of starts the gears will clear themselves up? Thanks for all the help so far!

Damn, those teeth are pretty well buggered. It looks like the old starter really screwed things up.

...oh and yes, I see the backing plate :)

Keep running like that and you'll be putting another starter in there.

As I said before, you can try to clean up the front edge of those teeth with a file. Don't get carried away, just dress the sides of the teeth so that there isn't any burrs that would catch the starter's pinion gear. Think of it as a flossing the teeth.

Other than that, you'll have to replace the flywheel.

Thanks for the pics. They helped immensely.