Tach and Turn signal problem

ib_steed

Aug 13, 2003
Sunnyvale, CA
Ran into a problem with some electrical on my car the other day:

My tach and turn signal went crazy at the same time. The tach just doesnt work anymore, sits there on 0 all the time.
The left turn signal turns on solid, the right still blinks, and both sides blink when the emergency flashers are on.

I've checked everything i can think to check, but i cant find anything wrong. The fuses are all good, the tach is still plugged in, and all the wires that i can see, seem to be fine. anyone run into anything like this before?
I'm stumped, any ideas? :shrug:

Thanks,
-Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

OEM tachs are famous for dying, and the turn lamp on solid says bulb out somewhere. It does that to let you know one is out. If the lamps on the outside of the car are all working, check the ground at the radiator support on the affected side.

I had that same problem when I had to replace the entire dash after a military Hummer decided to do custom bodywork on my car. I found that the ground wire for the instrument panel was not connected. Once I connected it, all was good. The ground cable that I found loose connects to the metal frame above the ashtray on the drivers side.

Hopefully, that will be your problem. Good luck!