tach w/shiftlight install nightmare, help !!!

Dr. Wu 2000

Feb 16, 2004
Eastern, Pa.
I need help fella's. I bought an AutoMeter SportComp tach w/shiftlight 2 weeks ago and the thing is still not working. I had a reputable shop do the install for me,(I will not name names) and they are unable to get the thing working correctly. The tach does light up and you can set the shiftlight, but
when the car is running there is no signal getting to the tach. Last week the shop told me I had a bad tach adapter, so I returned it and had Jeg's send me a new one. Well this Saturday I spend 4 hrs. at the shop and now the tach see's a signal but the car will not turn over and just dies. :bang: I talked to a guy from Autometer and he thinks that they are splicing into the tach sensor wire at the wrong spot, It doesn't help that both times they attempted to do the install was on a Saturday and Autometer are closed, so we could get no tech support. Has ANYONE done a tach install on the 03-04 cobra's, or no what the problem may be, any help, believe me would be greatly apreciated. By the way the shop is 1 hr. from my home, total I have wasted 6 hrs. of travel and 4 hrs. on site, this is getting old. :(

• Sponsors (?)

Uncle Meat said:
Sure wish I could help ya Wu.... Try posting your question over at: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=17 Those guys are the technical experts!

I was looking at adding a Raptor shift light to my car because I've read they are very EASY to install. Any particular reason you decided to add another tach to the car?

U.M.
No particular reason Meat. I did look into the Raptor also but I thought with the big tach I could keep a better eye on the revs and the price wasn't too bad. Should have done the install myself, it wasn't that hard. I just figured the shop would make sure that it was done correctly, go figure. :rolleyes: I talked to the shop today and they talked to Autometer and they think that they may have a run of bad adapters. They are sending them a tested unit that they know works and we will give that a try. Probably the middle of next week some time. One thing I didn't realize was how big that tach is, it dominates the dash. I really only got it for when I really want to get into it
so I don't have to glance down and peak at the stock tach. I hit the rev limiter a while back and I want to avoid doing that. :p Does look pretty nice though. :nice: I should have went with the Lunar tach, it matches the stock
dash at night, the Sport Comp is just black face with regular light, nothing special. :shrug:

Uncle Meat said:
Sure wish I could help ya Wu.... Try posting your question over at: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=17 Those guys are the technical experts!

I was looking at adding a Raptor shift light to my car because I've read they are very EASY to install. Any particular reason you decided to add another tach to the car?

U.M.
I have a Raptor shift light and went to install it but never finished it because it was taking longer than expected and I had to go out.

It's just somewhat of a pain squeezing under your dash and the computer is off to your right, not comfortable at all. Finding the correct wires to tap into are very easy. It's just a pain to actually do it.....there are like 100 wires all wrapped up to gether and you have to single out a certian one.

When I do evetually get around to starting and finishing the install, I will be taking my seat out. That only takes a few minutes and it will make it alot easier.

vipergts281 said:
I have a Raptor shift light and went to install it but never finished it because it was taking longer than expected and I had to go out.

It's just somewhat of a pain squeezing under your dash and the computer is off to your right, not comfortable at all. Finding the correct wires to tap into are very easy. It's just a pain to actually do it.....there are like 100 wires all wrapped up to gether and you have to single out a certian one.

When I do evetually get around to starting and finishing the install, I will be taking my seat out. That only takes a few minutes and it will make it alot easier.

All the wires you need are behind the instrument panel...power/ground/tach signal. Should only take you about 30 minutes to install it.

Update: tach is now working. Autometer sent the shop a tested unit and we installed it yesterday and it works, finally. Autometer must have a run of bad tach's, beware if you are in the market for one. :nonono: I'm still kicking myself for going cheap and not getting the Lunar model. During the day it looks fine but at night it looks like hell. :(