Tall Drivers need not apply?

• Sponsors (?)

I am only 6'0" but I have plenty of room in my 99. In fact, I don't have the seat all the way back.

The '05 should have a little more room since it has a longer wheelbase, but you'll have to actually sit in one to see how it is laid out. Other cars that supposedly have more room by the specs feel a lot more crowded than the mustang. (I couldn't even get into a new Gran Prix and that is considered a mid-size car.

I'm 6'2. I can easily fit in my 2001 Mustang. I have plenty of headroom. I'd like another inch of leg room, which I can get by moving where the seat mounts to its tracks. But I so far I haven;t needed that extra leg room bad enough to make the modification.

From the preliminary specs the 2005 Mustang has .5" more headroom, .8" more leg room, .2" more hip room and 1.8" more shoulder room than the 99 - 04 Mustangs.

The total interior volume on the 05 is 3 cu ft larger than the 99 - 04, so I suspect you will be able to fit in the 2005.

stang321 said:
I'm almost 6'4" and am wondering if I'd even fit comfortably in the 05. Any other tall folks out there?

I am 6'4 (almost exactly) and have no problems at all fitting into my '02 GT. The only thing I've noticed is that I can't have the seat belt go through the D-Ring, but I think I've seen shorter people complain about that. I had a V6 '97 Mustang before this one and didn't have any problems with its belt and loop. My sugestion is go to a Ford dealership and play with the seat and steering wheel till you get comfortable with it. Remember, every car is going to be different so if you get into one and can't get comfortable in it try another one before giving up. I remember between my two Mustangs I drove a red one that I had trouble getting comfortable in.

Thanks for the info!

I went to the local Ford dealer and sat in an 03 GT. The model I sat in had a manual trans. and is listed at 41.9" of legroom in the brochure (42.6" w/auto trans.) Anyhow, I could barely get in and out of it; legs were tucked up to the sides of the steering wheel; knees pointed almost straight up!

For comparison I sat in an 04 reg. cab F-150xl which listed 41" of legroom and found it palacial! I know, its' probably a dumb to compare a truck to a car, but it illustrates, I hope, that the science of legroom measuring is still confounding. Also tried a PT cruiser --- plenty-o-legroom.

I'll wait for the 05 like everyone else and hope for the best. My legs are too long, and torso too short, period (a chimpanzee on stilts) I won't give up hope as I've just seen on tv, a chimp riding a border collie.( Huh?)

stang321 said:
I'll wait for the 05 like everyone else and hope for the best. My legs are too long, and torso too short, period (a chimpanzee on stilts) I won't give up hope as I've just seen on tv, a chimp riding a border collie.( Huh?)

The '99 - 04's are pretty easy to modify to get more leg room. All you have to do is remove the seat and move where it mounts to the power seat mechanism. The 05 will probably be similar.

stang321 said:
....it illustrates, I hope, that the science of legroom measuring is still confounding.QUOTE]

The SAE prescribes how leg room is to be measured. It's simply a straight arc from the hip point to the heel point of a driver of the maximum accommodation size that the vehicle is designed for (typically 90th to 99th percentile male). Therefore you will typically see all vehicles in a similar range for front seat legroom -- it really has nothing to do with how far back the seat track will allow you to move.

If you think about the same size person sitting in an an F150 vs. a Mustang, that arc from hip point to heel point will be longer (therefore "more" legroom) in the Mustang because the driver is closer to the floor and therefore the legs are more stretched out....