the competition

Klay

Dec 16, 2004
CA
Sorry for the new thread but besides the gto, mach 1 and previous gt model
how do you guys think the mustang will compare to its japanese and euro counterparts. Like the rx-8, 350z, golf r32, evo 8, subura sti?
I got suckered into buying sport compact magazine (cant say know to little kids right?) and from what i've been reading in there it sounds like the mustang will have tougher competition than previously thought. Of course all these cars cost more but all are similar in performance. Please dont say something like apples to oranges because even though the mustang is basically in a class of it own, the same people who will buy those cars i mentioned will always be looking into the mustang probably.
I've been trying to find out info on this but all the sites i go by all have a bunch of ricer arguements of how mustangs are crap blah blah
I know this is going to be a biased towards the mustang (which i like :D )
but any thoughts on this are welcome so long as they have some logic to them.

• Sponsors (?)

Without taking price or personal opinion about looks into considertation, I'd say the STI/EVO are better performance cars than the '05 Stang. The reason is because they brake better, slalom better, handle better in different types of wheather, run similar 1/4 times and have a factory power adder.

I agree.

The Evo & STI will be a handful in just stock configuration, and they may even have an edge over the Mustang GT, especially if when punching it at 30-40 mph. Those 2 rice burners can fly in the upper rpm's.

On the other hand, the RX-8 and Golf R32 are great handlers, but they cannot match the Mustang GT's acceleration.

Well I don't know how you could NOT take into consideration the looks of the cars in question. Of those you mentioned, only the 350z and RX-8 can match the Mustang in styling.

The STI and Evo may have better performance numbers than the Mustang, but their glorified econo-box styling puts them both at the bottom of my Xmas list.

Performance is great, but I'd rather have a good-lookin' car ALL the time and lose an occasional race rather than win every race and drive one of those hideous rice boxes.

Out of the box, the EVO's performance can't be ignored. It is simply awesome. But as mentioned, there is NO style to them. And they already have all aftermarket parts, boosted and etc. I am biased also, but the Mustang is the best looking car under 100k, period. The general response I get from everyone else to mine would seem to back that up. I have received kudos from Older guys, young kids, BMW drivers, vette drivers, the family minivan, even some Oriental's in a Camry. The 05 mustangs appeal spans the entire demographic spectrum, unlike anything currently out. And once you add equivalvent EVo parts like brembo brakes, a blower, performance springs and shocks, etc, It won't be close. When the Cobra comes out, the mustang will be in territory normally reserved for your Mercedes AMG, BMW M3-M5, Vette, Viper, porsche etc. The base GT already handles equivalent to the 350z, RX-8, GTO(handling, not accelerating). Another 150hp, big brakes, IRS, and even tighter tuned chassis.... watch out :D

I would say an 05 Mustang GT would lose to the STI and the EVO in any real race. IE Drag (not from a roll), Road Race, open track events, etc

however if one were to drag from a roll it would come down to driver. i really didn't have a problem with them from a roll with my 01 Cobra when it was stock. from a dig though they would hurt me pretty bad out of the hole and i would start reeling them in by around 60-70 mph

I'm one of those guys who if it doesn't have a V8, RWD and two doors I don't really look at it (unless maybe it has a V12). Four doors to me means family car, and for a family car I'd want something bigger like the 300C or a Volvo or something. I think the Z is butt ugly and having a low small car like that stinks when you're surrounded by soccer moms in Suburbans.

tylers65 said:
Is this considered a technical discussion? :nonono:

sorry, I'm still new to the boards and I didn't realize there was a seperate section for this. I thought we could talk about anything that has to do with the 05 mustang.

Anyways, ya i agree the mustang may not be on par with the sti or evo performance wise but they look a whole lot better
Glad everyone could talk about this subject civilly cause some of the other comparisons didn't go so well...

Klay said:
sorry, I'm still new to the boards and I didn't realize there was a seperate section for this. I thought we could talk about anything that has to do with the 05 mustang.
Anyways, ya i agree the mustang may not be on par with the sti or evo performance wise but they look a whole lot better
Glad everyone could talk about this subject civilly cause some of the other comparisons didn't go so well...

I get a little confused about where to post subjects or questions about the '05 Mustang myself, because of the different sections. It's probably tough for some people to discuss comparisons without bringing up techie issues.
I also agree; the Mustang may not be faster or way faster, than the evo or sti, but it has an overall greater appeal, due to looks and style.

EddieHaskell said:
Without taking price or personal opinion about looks into considertation, I'd say the STI/EVO are better performance cars than the '05 Stang. The reason is because they brake better, slalom better, handle better in different types of wheather, run similar 1/4 times and have a factory power adder.

You are certainly living up to your handle of EddieHaskell.

Yea the STI/EVO are competition if want to drive a riced out looking 4 door econobox that cost $33K / $36K respectively and require 91 octane gas.

well i agree, they are more expensive but its still in the same area performance wise so its going to be compared
Of course take into consideration also that an srt-4 isnt too far behind the mustang in performance but cost less
but i wouldnt take the sti, evo or srt-4 just cause they dont look that cool