Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

I was able to sell a couple of parts last night and scrape some cash together to buy.... more parts. And I think I have one more thing sold (crossing fingers) so that I can buy the cam.

I kinda went in circles last night. I realized the throttle linkage and heater tube will not play nicely together without the EGR spacer, so I made an EGR delete plate to get rid of the valve and keep the spacer. As I was finishing it up, I realized that because of the way my CAI is routed, I can't use the EGR spacer at all. So option 2 is make a phenolic spacer out of some 1/2" plywood, which I guess I'll tackle tonight.

I did fix most of my vaccuum lines and a few other things that allowed me to knock a couple things off the to do list. And the best part - no cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Oops.

image.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Well, I was a little bummed to find that the lower intake has a cobra part number. All that means is that the top is from a lightning and someone ditched a cobra upper for the GT40. The intake ports are the same size, so it won't matter performance wise. Still can't complain about the price, either.

I did scrub it with a toothbrush and purple power yesterday and it's clean now. I almost lost a finger in an unrelated incident, so my work progress will probably be slow this week...

Ok... This was more than a week ago. No info about it since?

What size is it? 80mm, 90mm?
Ah yes. Apologies.

It did show up last Saturday, finally. Tried installing everything but ran into the issue of the throttle linkage hitting the heater tube. I tried making a phenolic spacer friday out of 3/4" plywood but will suffice to say that it didnt work. So I bought the intake this weekend and will install everything as I can with the use of 1.5 hands.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah yes. Apologies.

It did show up last Saturday, finally. Tried installing everything but ran into the issue of the throttle linkage hitting the heater tube. I tried making a phenolic spacer friday out of 3/4" plywood but will suffice to say that it didnt work. So I bought the intake this weekend and will install everything as I can with the use of 1.5 hands.

A spacer for what?

Ahhh... Why not just run a block off plate on the spacer?

Much easier to fab one out of wood or plastic while you wait for a billet piece to arrive?
I did that, out of heavy gauge metal even. And as soon as I finished, I realized I fabbed the CAI to work without the spacer in. It's such a tight fit around the strut tower that the extra 1.5" that the spacer adds wouldn't allow room for the intake.

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to doing stuff off the grid. I have a shoot from the hip approach instead of a "hey, lets plan this ahead of time and look at all angles" before constructing something.

I did that, out of heavy gauge metal even. And as soon as I finished, I realized I fabbed the CAI to work without the spacer in. It's such a tight fit around the strut tower that the extra 1.5" that the spacer adds wouldn't allow room for the intake.

Aha... :thinking:

Start painting FROM the door, all the way back to that corner there. :chin

At this point, I might put the spacer back in and cut/weld a relief into what... the 4 inch inlet that you've made.

Aha... :thinking:

Start painting FROM the door, all the way back to that corner there. :chin

At this point, I might put the spacer back in and cut/weld a relief into what... the 4 inch inlet that you've made.
Yeahhhh... In hindsight, I see what I should have done, but I had no way of knowing I was going to have clearance issues after the fact. Nor did I remember reading about anyone having clearance issues after deleting the EGR spacer.

Yeahhhh... In hindsight, I see what I should have done, but I had no way of knowing I was going to have clearance issues after the fact. Nor did I remember reading about anyone having clearance issues after deleting the EGR spacer.

Eh... Yeah, there are EGR delete spacers out there to be purchased. The linkage is why.