Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

Well folks,...after I'd say about 1.5 hrs of sanding just the passenger side quarter,...it's close to smooth enough to buff.

But,....

Like the other guy said,...I can see sealer through the long body line that was always sanding through when I was blocking the thing. Despite purposely avoiding that line, the fact of the matter is that I will not accept any surface other than glass for the Monster, and that bodyline was equally textured. Stevie Wonder could've sanded the quarter by feel alone it is so bad. You can literally feel the texture under the 1500 grit block. In the same manner you know when the road is rough or smooth beneath your tires,....the same could be said about the wet sanding. When the quarter stopped seeming like a country road, it was close enough to stop and look. It still required sanding after that to truly get all of the texture to disappear, and the bodyline has suffered for that.

It still isn't perfect by no means,...there is still too much texture for me to be perfectly happy with it. I know if I hit it with a buffer, that the line that I "think" is grey underneath, will become grey for real.

I simply ran out of time to do that last night. (again, the wife had alternative" plans for me.) Tonight will be the night of the grey line.

Reactions: 2 users
Man, those things get heavy quick. And vision through them is shoddy at best, not to mention 99.62135% of prescription glasses don't fit in them. We use the 30 minute packs like that, and the hose type that plug into a 12 pack of big cylinders. Very tough to work in.

I would recommend a good pair of monogoggles that fit over the glasses and trim up the beard. I've worked in several facilities that use the Scott air packs, but the one I'm in now requires us to actually be clean shaven for that very reason. I love taking vacation and letting my whiskers grow.
That's why we firefighters can't have beards and gotees(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) Our mask has to seal around our face or the bad stuff will get into the mask....You don't want that in a fire...TRUST ME.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok,...let's move over here.

*** debauchery over at Mike's place,.....everybody over there...

The quarter is a loss. Not only did the body line show through,.....the entire quarter is starting to show through.

(tells me that the paint is even)

So,......800 grit then?... The whole car?

The passenger quarter was/is a mess. The rest of the car coulda been saved. But the whole is only as strong as it's weakest link,

(Least that's what they taught me in the Army.)

So,.....I kinda expected this anyway. The body get's sanded, get's it's tires,...and I focus on the other body parts.

I spoke with the wife, and she asked......"How much do you think it woulda cost you to have somebody spray it after you got it ready?........1000.00,......2000.00,.....What?"

I don't know,....The prospect has never crossed my mind.......Elsewise,...I'd have paid that to somebody long ago.

Piece

of

Sht

Car.

Reactions: 1 user
I think she is tired of you futtzing around with the paint and just wants it done already. You now have her tact approval.....use it.:rolleyes: You can always blame me if she changes her mind. I can take the heat...really.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok,...let's move over here.

*** debauchery over at Mike's place,.....everybody over there...

The quarter is a loss. Not only did the body line show through,.....the entire quarter is starting to show through.

(tells me that the paint is even)

So,......800 grit then?... The whole car?

The passenger quarter was/is a mess. The rest of the car coulda been saved. But the whole is only as strong as it's weakest link,

(Least that's what they taught me in the Army.)

So,.....I kinda expected this anyway. The body get's sanded, get's it's tires,...and I focus on the other body parts.

I spoke with the wife, and she asked......"How much do you think it woulda cost you to have somebody spray it after you got it ready?........1000.00,......2000.00,.....What?"

I don't know,....The prospect has never crossed my mind.......Elsewise,...I'd have paid that to somebody long ago.

Piece

of

Sht

Car.
Stop it Mikey, it's not a piece of sht. It's a freakin' masterpiece that you want shiny. That's all.

Plane ticket Mike, a plane ticket away. You'd need to feed me, give me beer, transport me around like you are my little btch, sure. But the monster would be painted.

If you want to try this, I'll talk to the wife and see if she would mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Stop it Mikey, it's not a piece of sht. It's a freakin' masterpiece that you want shiny. That's all.

Plane ticket Mike, a plane ticket away. You'd need to feed me, give me beer, transport me around like you are my little btch, sure. But the monster would be painted.

If you want to try this, I'll talk to the wife and see if she would mind.
Talked to the wife....got your innuendo the last time you mentioned it. I'm all about it. Problem is,...I'm not ready for you Dave.

The Fenders, Doors, (especially the Hood) and the trunk need finishing. Then I gotta build a booth, Then, Dave.........

I'll gladly buy the Plane ticket,...Put you up in a local hotel for two-three days,...feed you, booze you, and fly you back.

It'll be a bargain.

Reactions: 3 users
Well, there you are then, it's done. Let me know when it gets close.

Your monster is just to cool, it needs to be pretty.

Unbelieveable... There are guy's,.....then there are guy's.

If you lived in this City,...I'd be the guy that you'd hide from every other thursday night....

*" Dammit!!!! Turn out the lights!!! That stinkin' guy is out there wearing a "Dave's the Man" T shirt in the driveway again! What did I ever do to deserve this?"

Reactions: 4 users
I think she is tired of you futtzing around with the paint and just wants it done already. You now have her tact approval.....use it.:rolleyes: You can always blame me if she changes her mind. I can take the heat...really.
We're both tired of Futzin around w/ it. The only saving grace is that the Monster is all I got that resembles my Alter Ego. If/When #1 get's back next march, I give hime his dumb assed Jeep back, and I buy the M? BMW.......If the Monster isn't done, and running by then..........it'll be a bad thing.

Too cool! I wish I could come help!!! I was passing through when Mike was building the red car and the schedule for return didn't lend itself to stopping for a visit. I'm always regretting that.

Dude I bought the car from burned up half a day with bank paperwork because he had a lien on the car, then we had to fix the ac before departing. :notnice:

Last edited:
Too cool! I wish I could come help!!! I was passing through when Mike was building the red car and the schedule for return didn't lend itself to stopping for a visit. I'm always regretting that.

Dude I bought the car from burned up half a day with bank paperwork because he had a lien on the car, then we had to fix the ac before departing. :notnice:
And I actually had the garage cleaned up for you and everything,...You have no Idea of the momentous event you missed.

Thinkin' back though,..the red car was in less of a finished condition than the Monster at that time, (well the red interior was done and in place,...all of the rough body work was done,....so,..maybe a little farther)

Ironically,....the red car shoulda been repainted as well.

Ok gents,....Given the possibility that the Monster is gonna get a professional paint job for less than I ever imagined,....I'm gonna move onto getting the rest of the car parts ready, and ignore the Monster's body for now.
Lots of stuff happenin today though, despite it being my day off.

#1. #2 graduates today. Gotta be ready to go at 4 PM.
#2. We are switching to Directv. Dude is sposed to be here between 1-3, (Wanna bet on that not happenin?) I have the house wired for cable, and Directv needs dedicated runs. That's all done though, just not currently hooked up. but guess where all of those unmarked cables are dangling?........

CC7E27EF-1F38-4B6A-9039-C242A97964CE_zps2qfpdzuj.jpg

#3. I gotta go over to a customer house, and modify the program on his remote control.(should only be a couple hours max,..if that)
#.4 The House cleaning crew is coming today for the Bi-monthly mega clean.

When you add/subtract all of that from itself, what is left over for the poor ol bumpy Monster?....

Reactions: 5 users
I just read the last 5 posts. Here's my summary.

Mike is flying Dave in to paint and M series Beemer he's buying for #2 as a graduation gift so that he can concentrate on fixing the bumper of the 'Monster. Oh, and some satellite is orbiting overhead today. Got it.

Seriously though, I'm excited about the pro paint job.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah think about the epic-ness of it all!!!! We all know that if that happens, I'll have talking points on the next magazine that covers it.
Can you see the tagline?

Big hearted Oklahoma man travels 720 miles for a good cause,......To help a deserving Reptile.

Save for the quality of the paint,......(My Orange slop compared to his multi-thousand dollar liquid gold) but,...even given the product's shortcomings,....I know he'll be able to make the finish on the Monster as good as that stuff will allow.

Not holding anybody to anything here,..if it happens, it happens. If It doesn't, I'll manage. If it does, then all the better.

Yeah think about the epic-ness of it all!!!! We all know that if that happens, I'll have talking points on the next magazine that covers it.
Can you see the tagline?

Big hearted Oklahoma man travels 720 miles for a good cause,......To help a deserving Reptile.

Save for the quality of the paint,......(My Orange slop compared to his multi-thousand dollar liquid gold) but,...even given the product's shortcomings,....I know he'll be able to make the finish on the Monster as good as that stuff will allow.

Not holding anybody to anything here,..if it happens, it happens. If It doesn't, I'll manage. If it does, then all the better.
The big difference between the expensive paint and the cheap stuff is durability. A little bit with the cleanness of the color as well.
It should, assuming I spray it right, come out smooth and pretty as can be. Just don't leave it parked in the sun for long periods of time and it will last. The sun is the bastard to durability.
Remember, my paint job won't straighten lines or take out body waves. Not that that is a problem, just sayin......
When you get more paint Mike, get the Very Slow activator and reducer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.