Status
Not open for further replies.
Double Grasshopper ??

Hope nothing major.

Tried getting away from the cops like they did in the Need for Speed movie by jumping a service road, but I guess my 2011 doesnt have the same suspension as the 2013 they used in the movie. Nothing too major, I'll have it back on the road by winter's end. I just wish @madmike1157 wouldnt have told me it would work.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Mike, you will need one of your personalities in front of the car, and the other in the back seat area for this. No problemo, you are Michael Keaton, right?
No professor, I can fix the blower, and go feel for the wind in first person. Hell, since fireworks shops are open 365 days a year here, I may go get some smoke bombs and just blow smoke at it.

Different from the smoke I typically blow at you guys,..............
Just sayin':rolleyes:

Tried getting away from the cops like they did in the Need for Speed movie by jumping a service road, but I guess my 2011 doesnt have the same suspension as the 2013 they used in the movie. Nothing too major, I'll have it back on the road by winter's end. I just wish @madmike1157 wouldnt have told me it would work.
I just wish you'd stop doing everything I say.

Oh look,.......cliff!

Go jump off of it.:cool:

No professor, I can fix the blower, and go feel for the wind in first person. Hell, since fireworks shops are open 365 days a year here, I may go get some smoke bombs and just blow smoke at it.

Different from the smoke I typically blow at you guys,..............
Just sayin':rolleyes:

2acb4eafac984e910e5fa5b119175c1a[1].jpg

:rolleyes:

For the benefit of those among us that lack the ability to see a project until it's actually completed, I'm here to tell you that today you'll be able to see what I did w/ 12 little pieces of steel.

temporary_zpscabe86a0.jpg

temporary_zpse6bb5df8.jpg

temporary_zpsc92243df.jpg

The Gila gills on the driver side are 90%. There are still pin holes, and some little blurbs that need fixing, but for the most part, It's close enough to allow it to sit till paint time.

I did tig the entire thing in there though I said I wasn't comfortable enough to do so. I started out doing the spot weld ever 3" or so using the mig, but after grinding them all down said Fk that. There's no way I'm gonna do that again, so I forced myself to work w/ the tig. My tig also has a finger button trigger, besides a foot pedal, it's jus a matter of getting the heat setting right. I managed nonetheless.

It still wasn't w/o it's fair share of obstacles. Those 12 little pieces ended up a little wonky when it was all done, and I played holy hell getting it in the opening any where near square. If you look at the above pics, you'll see the downside to trying to assemble all of those separately welded pieces. The top line isn't anywhere near straight, and the front edge doesn't follow the same curves as the three behind it.
(That's cause I'm a one man garage hack, and not Troy Trepenier)

The worst part of this side is the fact that there was a previously welded version of an earlier scoop that needed cutting back off. That process, and the resulting sections that had to be rewelded in as fillers, managed to just warp all to hell. Try as I may to keep moving around while welding it in, the thing still sunk in pretty significantly.

That required a bunch of time as the Bondo Body Man. Whether that's a good thing, or bad, it's all water under the bridge now. I really couldn't straighten the metal that much as the scoop itself was either in the way, or was partly to blame for keeping the panel in a warped shape because of the structure itself.

I don't know what the guys on the shows like Car Warriors do differently, but seems to me they slather the Bondo on, and sand until they get what they are looking for. That's the exact way I did it in the garage.

One other problem was an oversight on my part,..one that I will not miss on the other side.
temporary_zpsb299e035.jpg

What's wrong with this picture?

Well?

That is the back side of the two center fins.

Open.

As in not welded shut.

What happens when I'm driving in a torrential rain storm, or just washing the car for that matter, and water gets in the scoop? ( not the problem).

How does the water that will run into those fins ever get out?

It can't. Therein lies the problem, and my oversight. I shoulda welded the back side of those fins closed.

Now the only thing I can do is try to inject some kind of fungoo into the backside through that opening, and try to seal them up. With what I don't know yet.

I also found a new mesh that I'm happy with enough to use universally. I'm gonna put that stuff in front to protect the coolers as well. Got it at the metal supermarket for 10.00 for a 12 x 48" sheet............................................Love the metal supermarket.

Attachments

• temporary_zpscabe86a0.jpg
    temporary_zpscabe86a0.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 337
  • temporary_zpse6bb5df8.jpg
    temporary_zpse6bb5df8.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 351
  • temporary_zpsc92243df.jpg
    temporary_zpsc92243df.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 362
  • temporary_zpsb299e035.jpg
    temporary_zpsb299e035.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 352
Reactions: 2 users
I like the new vent style. I looks much better and not so "Road Warrior"-ish.

As for the water... What about putting a small clean-out at the bottom of the box that you have inside/behind the scoop? It would not have to be large at all. Placed at the lowest point, the water will drain when static and it will be forced out when air is pulled into the box.

That is definetly the winner. It looks like a much more natural element of the car. Can you cut the mesh out and weld the fillers from behind? I think that would drive me crazy knowing that it was like that. Good job nontheless.

Joe

I like the new vent style. I looks much better and not so "Road Warrior"-ish.

As for the water... What about putting a small clean-out at the bottom of the box that you have inside/behind the scoop? It would not have to be large at all. Placed at the lowest point, the water will drain when static and it will be forced out when air is pulled into the box.
There'd have to be holes at the front edge of both fins, and those holes would have to be exposed, as there is no accessible "back side" that far forward.
Do I like it? Yes. Does it remind me of a '69 Camaro to an extent? Yes. Can you please everyone? No.
69 Camaro........Filet Mignon.
78 Fairmont......Dog food.
Comparing my box to one of the most coveted body styles purely because of a set of intake vents is kinda like ignoring the "forest for the tree" don't you think?
That is definetly the winner. It looks like a much more natural element of the car. Can you cut the mesh out and weld the fillers from behind? I think that would drive me crazy knowing that it was like that. Good job nontheless.

Joe
AWESOME!!! I like it A LOT Mike! It really looks like it belongs there. Now, that little water problem that you may have sucks. I agree with Noobz about the small hole at the lowest point.
The only option left is to seal the fins w/ goop. No way in Hell to get anything into the vent to cut the mesh, and welding anything now destroys a whole bunch of bodywork.
I'll probably mask off both sides of the back side of the vent, so goop wont go everywhere, and use seam sealer, or polyurethane like I did in the wheel tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.