The SINGLE dumbest thing I've done while in the Garage

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
As a follow up to the top 10 dumb things done to a mustang, I realized that there can also be a list made up for stupid things done while working on a mustang.

AND while there are certainly at least 10 things I've done that could be considered dumb here here is my top 1 (of 2)

I've already described the recent fiasco where I backed the current car out of the garage w/o brakes, and almost ran it off the slab and into our pool..(see the thread Diaster!! well almost) and while this was really stupid....I like this one for the most lacking of all intellect....

1991...Hadn't done any major work on a car for about 8 years, (courtesy of the US ARMY) and I working on my fairmont. I was so poor back then I had to borrow my machine shops' extra chain hoist to lift the brand new 351 into the futuras' engine bay.
I had this raggedy little one car garage that was barely wide enough to get the doors open when the car was inside. Now that I had a chain hoist, I had to come up w/ a "beam" to span the garage walls to attach the chain hoist to.

After pricing 4 x 6 x 10 boards (and deciding that I couldn't afford them) I found a friend that had a 4 x 6 x 10 "beam" he had laying around that he said he'd give me. Problem was,...It was made of cedar. Didn't matter, I had what I needed, so I strapped it to the passenger side of my DD pontiac sunbird and off I go.

For those of you that know, I don't have to tell you, for those that don't... cedar isn't the most "rigid" wood I could have used. :rolleyes:

I get it finagled in the garage, spanning the two walls, sitting on top of the top plate on each opposing wall at 8'. I push the car out, bolt the 351 to my C-4, hook the chain hoist to the combination, and start hoisting away... however the more I tried to raise it, the more the beam flexed downward. ( this obviously wasn't going to work, I need to shorten the span)

Undeterred, I go into the basement, and come out w/ (2) 2 x 4 x 8's for bracing... I stand them up spaced just far enough to get the car between them, and wedge them between the beam and floor.
I start trying to lift the combo again..........IT RAISES,....SUCCESS!!!

I get the combination in the air, but now there is a new problem.. If I let go of the chain...the engine comes down.......fast! Again, no problem. Once I get the car back underneath I'll be sure to keep the chain in-hand to avoid any rapid descent "issues".
I run a bolt through the "up" chain and the "down" chain to lock it in place, push the car back underneath, and begin slowly lowering the engine in place.

As a footnote, I have placed the PITA to install 1"3/4 Headman Huslers in the bay, this is the first time I've spent over 300.00 for a set of headers, so I'm very leary of hurting my brand new exhaust.

Anyway, down I go w/ the combination.....It starts to get close, and the car starts to lower as the weight of the engine settles.

Unfortunately, as the weight settles onto the car, the beam begins to "relax" as the weight comes off of it, and one of the 2 x 4's that I wedged between the weighted beam is no longer wedged. It starts to fall in my direction on a direct collision w/ some part of my head/face.

(now for the slow motion part)

The 2 x 4 just didn't casually fall over,..It kind of "squirted" out much like a spring does from a front end that wasn't secured properly.
I'm thinking I need to reach out and catch that 2x4 so it won't hit me, but at the same time do not want to let go of the stupid chain hoist because the engine is still several inches away from sitting where its supposed to be.
As a testament to how much your mind can process in a matter of a second or two that makes it seem like a minute, I remember actually choosing to let it hit me, alternately thinking that I'd be pissed if the engine hurts my new headers if I let go of the chain.

So it whacks me. Squarely in the face. I actually watched it come.
It hits me so hard, I see stars and.......let go of the chain!

(Time returns to normal.) or as it has become now known as mikelight savings time

I now needed to put my hands on my forehead where the red welt was rising.

The engine now is free to continue downward (which it does) and manages to "pinch" a tube of my prized headers anyway, wedging it between the k member and some sharp corner on the engine.

:stupid:

I have another equally stupid story, But I'll spare you guys, this was long enough.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

AAAAhahahahaha great story! We've all been there, in a situation where you know it's a bad idea, but something tells you that you'll PROBABLY be able to pull it off anyway. Of course, you never do.

When my house was being built, the construction manager was going through some details with me and at one point was telling me what the load rating of the attic beams above the garage were.

He stopped and says, "you're a car guy, right?"

I said, "yea."

He goes, "Last year, we built a house for a guy with a Corvette. He attached a chain hoist to the ceiling beams and attempted to lift the engine out of his car with it. When the ceiling failed, he had a smashed Corvette and an unusable garage bay. These load ratings are PER SQUARE FOOT, NOT point loads."

Don't have to tell me twice!

Changed the oil in the Mustang, left the catch can on the side of the car to recycle another day. A couple mornings later I had to get something out of the garage before work, and ended up stepping right into it, shooting oil all up my pant leg. What a mess.

Thankfully that's the stupidest thing I've done.

Changed the oil in the Mustang, left the catch can on the side of the car to recycle another day. A couple mornings later I had to get something out of the garage before work, and ended up stepping right into it, shooting oil all up my pant leg. What a mess.

Thankfully that's the stupidest thing I've done.

Ha did that too but instead of stepping in it I was blowing out dust and leaves from the garage with a leaf blower thought I could get around the half full 5 gallon bucket but accident blew into it...your imaginations can take it from there.

But the single dumbest was venting r134 in a small garage with the door open a crack. Chest tightened up and breathing kept getting shallower even after I got out got dizzy and hit the floor when I got in the house. Thought that I had punched my own ticket. That was just a long tiring day and working clearly without thought, dont care if it 25 degrees out the door is always open now.

Was bench pressing the Tremec into place with the car on jackstands and as I lifted the tranny rolled a little and the bellhousing pinned me between the ground and the car. Had to force my body free and tore up my chest pretty bad. Was literally pinned for a good 10-15 minutes......felt like I was there forever. I was worried someone may have to come find me, but the embarassment of that happening was greater than tearing my chest up.

i was rolling my mustang out for the last hell ride before putting it away for winter...and well i didnt get to take it out cuz the car rolled back out of the garage with the door open and well door and fender were mangled ..door bent forward..seemed like it all happened in slow motion...caused 1500 worth of damage...fml....lol what u gonna do now but laugh at it...gettin it fixed in a month or 2

Cranking a 5.0 Fuel injected engine over with the throttle body removed wasn't a good idea. Was cleaning the TB and intake and for some reason thought the car would just crank like a car with no carb. However FI cars still get plenty of gas from the injectors and no TB equals Wide Open:jaw:. Scared the crap out of us.

i put the top down on my 67 WHEN it had a plastic rear window and it was about 10 deg outside and it did not fold but busted the hell out of it.
on the steping in oil i got one for that to but it was a customer in a suit at the shop who thought we were ripping him off and wanted to see the damage himself and did not look down and stepped on the side of a oil pan (the bottom of a five gallon bucket cut short) and it dumped the whole dame thing on his dress shoe. it took everything i had not to laugh my ass of at him.

I don't have one as bad as any of these, but I came real close last summer. I had pulled the Mustang part way out of the garage and thought to myself, don't be a dumbarse and shut the garage. But then I thought, I couldn't be that dumb, could I? Yes I could:D. I finished what I was doing and hit the remote for the door then started walking to the house when I remembered the car was still halfway out the door! I ran back and stood under the door and held it up until the safety kicked in and reversed it. Phew! Close one!

changing the oil on my car i went to kick the jack stand out of the way to let the car down, didnt get it out all the way and caught my bumper extension, i haz no paint on it now as it all flaked off from the extension being pushed about 7 inches up.:nonono:

Stupid story #2

Another trip down self-deprecation lane.

1979. I'm spending the winter at my moms' house in ONAWA IA. AKA.....Hell.

Another rickety assed tiny little one car garage. My mom has been storing all kinds of junk in this shed/garage and stipulates that if I clean it up, I can store my Mach1 in there for the winter.
I mean it's full of all kinds of worthless crap, including BOXES of plastic 1 qt and 1 gal empty milk jugs. I attempt to throw them away, but for whatever reason, she won't let me. So I heap all of the milk jug boxes at the very front of the garage.

I install one of those 48" long florescent shop lights running lengthwise in the ceiling that hangs from the included chains. Once installed, it hangs un-level. Not front to back, but side-to-side. I decide to solve the problem by placing a big, honkin piece of 3/4" rebar in the little trough that ran around the perimeter of the light housing.
It now hangs level. Another masterful solution to a huge dilemma.

It's January in Iowa. The mach 1 is getting it's second custom paint job. In keeping w/ the styling trends of the day, I chose to two-tone the car, getting my inspiration from the then current Sox and Martin prostock 69 cuda that was painted red white and blue.

I wanted to paint it red and white, but my painter said that was overdone, and I should choose another color other than red.........so I did, ....
I chose copper.

We painted the car white and copper w/ a gold pearl clear coat over the entire car. The copper color basically covered the sides, white was on the deck surfaces.

Back in the day I drove it w/ drag slicks on the street. On the day I bring it home to the hoopty garage, It has Firestone drag 500 10.5 x 28.5 x 15's on it. I leave the shop w/ the painters' last words still fresh in my ears..."Whatever you do, be careful with the paint, because w/ the metallic in the copper, and the gold in the pearl, I'll NEVER be able to touch up a scratch or chip."

There is snow all over the roads.

Miraculously, I make it all the way home on the snow covered roads (about two miles driving at a creep though the neighborhood). I turn down the drive to the shed/garage and get it in front of the garage. The slab the garage was built on is raised a couple of inches above grade so water wont run in, so consequently there is a short inclined "ramp" to get the car in the garage.

I ease the 15 x 3.5 front tires into the garage......roll slowly forward till the slicks get to the ramp,....and it starts to spin.
I back up and roll in a little faster and as soon as they get to the ramp,the back tires again just spin.

The third time I chose to blip the throttle just before the back tires got to the ramp w/ the thought being the extra "surge" would get me in the garage.

It didn't work that way.

Again the tires spun, AND this time there was enough forward momentum to get it in the garage. Only NOW, the tire spin coupled w/ the detroit Locker managed to put the passenger side door against the garage door track from about middle of the door to the end of the door,....where the car ground to a halt...wedged against the track.

It needs to be said that I have the temper of Homer Simpson.

Realizing that I just F'd up a Un-touch-up-able paint job, I go into a Rage where no English words came out of my mouth. Thanks to the rage-induced adrenaline boost, I did manage to slide the car on its slicks off of the track, by pushing it against the quarter. Once off the track, The "Gash" was now fully exposed....all 18" of it that went all the way down to the previous color.

Which brought on fit # 2.

It takes me another 15 minutes to compose myself enough,... and now that the car is basically in the garage, I push it in the rest of the way.

I open the hood, forgetting that opening it too far would contact the shop light that I had installed in the fall. but I open it too far.

The rebar that was leveling the light now falls onto the hood and slides down to the cowl. (add a 1/4" paint chip on the hood and the same at the cowl)

Now, FIRE, not words is coming out of my mouth and my ass because there is no definition for how angry I have become,...I get the f'ing piece of rebar, and look for a place to throw it, as far and as hard as I possibly can.

I choose to throw it into the heap of empty milk jugs, which to my ultimate dismay was amazingly resilient. the Rebar ricochets off the milk jugs and comes raging back into the front valance ( add 1/2" paint chip and visible dent)

Now I'm Hoarse. My head hurts from screaming, and I'm just whipped,.....I realize if I don't get out of the garage, I'm gonna wreck the entire car w/ the paint job less than 1 hour old.
I close the garage door trudge through the snow into the house, and call my painter to let him know what just happened.

I think sometime between the garage and the phone call I cried. :cry: