The ultimate bench race Cobra$$$ vs. 5.0$$$

nmcgrawj said:
So isnt that still less than half the cost to insure a 5.0 compared to a cobra?
Way less than half. The Cobra is $2200 per year. The 5.0 is $150 per year. $2050 difference a year. That would be $10,250 more over a 5yr. span......for a 32 yr. old!!....if you're in your 20's fugetaboutit :)

• Sponsors (?)

mattkimsey said:
Way less than half. The Cobra is $2200 per year. The 5.0 is $150 per year. $2050 difference a year. That would be $10,250 more over a 5yr. span......for a 32 yr. old!!....if you're in your 20's fugetaboutit :)

$150 per year? Thats full insurance? Thats almost impossible. I cant imagine having full insurance for basically $10 a month. My mom has my car under her name...she is 59. Her's isnt even close to that.

mattkimsey said:
i am 45 years old, and the insurance on my 1995 is $450 every 6 months. $150 per year is ludicrous, even for an old guy with a good driving record.

what kind of insurance are you talking about?

tell me where i can get $150 per year (full coverage, not liability only which is not allowed in maryland) and i'll switch.

BlackVert said:
i am 45 years old, and the insurance on my 1995 is $450 every 6 months. $150 per year is ludicrous, even for an old guy with a good driving record.

tell me where i can get $150 per year (full coverage, not liability only which is not allowed in maryland) and i'll switch.

I'm 23 and pay just over $130 canadian a month, which is $80/month full coverage USD.
which is a total of about $650 for 8 months when i drive it.
and $7 for 4 months for fire/theft in the winter months.

making it a grand total of $678 USD a year to drive a 1995 Mustang GT Convertible for 8 months of the year/4 months for storage, at 23.

EDIT: just so others know my rates... i've had this discussion with others all my age around here, and the amount I personally pay for what I drive is unheard of... meaning, i have friends with completely clean records driving sunfire gts for more than what i pay. :shrug:
I hope the $150/year quote is hypothetical.

nmcgrawj said:
$150 per year? Thats full insurance? Thats almost impossible. I cant imagine having full insurance for basically $10 a month. My mom has my car under her name...she is 59. Her's isnt even close to that.
No, $150 would be for liablity only, like I said, no use in running full coverage on a '90 with a book value of $2000.

BlackVert said:

See my above replies. It would be crazy for me to pay a couple hundred more for full coverage when the insurance company would just try and total the car out if any real damage happened.

Caldwell said:
I'm 23 and pay just over $130 canadian a month, which is $80/month full coverage USD.
which is a total of about $650 for 8 months when i drive it.
and $7 for 4 months for fire/theft in the winter months.

making it a grand total of $678 USD a year to drive a 1995 Mustang GT Convertible for 8 months of the year/4 months for storage, at 23.

Woot! I got you beat! 90 bucks (Canadian) a month! Storing for 4 months as well!

Then again, I'm EXTREMELY old.

xr8d302 said:
Woot! I got you beat! 90 bucks (Canadian) a month! Storing for 4 months as well!

Then again, I'm EXTREMELY old.

that's right old man :D
Ag%20Iowa%20people%20old%20man%20best%20web%20small.JPG

go back to counting your beans.

stprorolla49 said:
yea tru....i was thinking about teh rotating assembly, but didnt notice it wanst there......

EDIT: i KNEW it was there.....he has $4000 put down for a dart 347 SHORTBLOCK.....which includes internals.....matt, can you specify the internals in that block?

Seeing as a Dart block is $2200 cold with no machining, that leaves next to nothing for internals, at least not ones worthy of a 10 second motor.

And before I read through this whole thread...I don't see either of those cars running 10's as listed.

lxfiveo said:
Seeing as a Dart block is $2200 cold with no machining, that leaves next to nothing for internals, at least not ones worthy of a 10 second motor.

And before I read through this whole thread...I don't see either of those cars running 10's as listed.
$2200 for an eagle, I've seen the Dart sportsmans for as little as $1700. Shortblocks for $4200.

lxfiveo said:

good point, although as stated, a dart sportsman block can be had for 1700, maybe 800 in machine work, 1000 for a forged crank, about 600 for forgd rods, and 600-700 for forged pistons....

stprorolla49 said:
good point, although as stated, a dart sportsman block can be had for 1700, maybe 800 in machine work, 1000 for a forged crank, about 600 for forgd rods, and 600-700 for forged pistons....

An eagle forged crank, h-beam rods, and forged je pistions run $1600 before the balance work.

And it's even better if you know someone and they get it for you at cost