thermostat stuck, water pump exploded on the way to work.

BELL

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2002
California
so my morning consisted of a bunch of crap. was driving to work get on the free way got into 3rd at 3200rpm i threw one of the v belts on the freeway so i got of the next exit and checked saw the bearings in the pump blew apart and the pump just started eating itself. the pulley had some much play it tossed a belt. so i limp to work, another mile. I get a ride home at lunch to grab the other water pump i have and stopped to get a new t-stat. Its so nice working in a shop, fix it before i go home no mess at my house...

so i've also been having this problem with the boost in first, second gear and stuttering under load at WOT. So to my amazement when i removed the t-stat it was stuck closed. duh i'm thinking now it all makes sense. so new t-stat and water pump and it runs like a raped ape. :nice:

now an emissions question:

if the t-stat wasnt working correctly would cause high HC's? I failed CA SMOG with HC's at like 148 or somthin been a while since i saw the paper...

• Sponsors (?)

BELL said:
now an emissions question:

if the t-stat wasnt working correctly would cause high HC's? I failed CA SMOG with HC's at like 148 or somthin been a while since i saw the paper...

Usually the HC increase if the engine is running cold, not too hot. The exception could be if Ford programmed the ECU to richen things up if the coolant temp goes too high. I don't know if they did, though. My car uses oil like nuts and just scraped under the limit by one point on HC (137 or 138, I forget). That is only one point higher than last year when the PO got it. I can safely say that my HC was high due to oil, though.

How is the cat? The O2? Where's the timing? Your TPS voltage? etc.