Those that installed gears??

• Sponsors (?)

Get Ford Racing gears that way the pinion depth is the same as stock. The ring gear you will have to shim. Make sure you buy the deluxe install kit from summit or jegs because it's comes w/new bearings and crush collar etc. Make sure you change all that while your in their. Also don't go by anyone elses tolerance's you have to figure it out on your own. Another reason why I said to get the deluxe kit is because it comes w/a lot of shims because your going to crack a few getting them in. If you have never done this before make sure you get someone that knows what their doing so you don't destroy your rear. Oh yah go to your dealership or performance shop and buy Friction Modifier. Don't forget to put that in or you will have a full locker in a few days :nice:

I have already got 4.10s. and no, the shim size is not always the same. I was asking to see what others are using . I have experience with Frpp, Richmond, Motive and National Drivetrain gear sets and never used the stock shims alone. Thanks for the reply though.

I never said the shim size was the same. I said the pinion depth was the same. The ring gear is what needs to be shimmed and thats why you should buy the deluxe install kit because it comes w/a bunch of different size shims and the crush collar etc. I can't tell you what I set my tolerances too because I changed the carrier out while I was in there I put an Auburn HD in and I'm not sure if its to the exact same specs as the ford limited slip. I'm sorry if I worded my reply oddly.

I just swap 4.10 in a 03 and the stock pinion shim was a .030 and the new pinion needed a .035, that was with reusing the stock bearings. Dont use this as a guide cause every gear Ive changed has had a differnt shim, only a few have used the same shim setup. I always check using the ford tool for seting pinion depth. I dont reccomend using any bearing that isnt made by timkin, ford uses a koyo for the large pinion bearing and works fine.

thats the kind of info I was asking for.
Mine stock was .028 and I went to .030.

BanginStang97GT, The pinion depth is what I was talking about. We bosth misunderstood each other. I know the carrier shims will change with any gear change. The pinion depth does vary, even with FRPP gears.