Thunderbird V8 Swap

coldstaindtears

Sep 22, 2004
New Jersey
Most people want to swap the 3.8L V6 out for a 4.6L V8. I was thinking about swapping out my 3.8 for 3.9L DOHC V8 from the much overlooked 2003 Ford Thunderbird. HP and Torque are pretty impressive at 280 and 286. I know that the T-Bird only came in automatic and my car is automatic as well. Does anyone know if this motor could be installed in the Mustang and bolt up to the auto trans? How much does a swap usually cost in labor and materials besides the motor, acessories, and computer? I thought it would be cool to have the smaller v8 becuase its making impressive numbers compared to the bigger v8's.

• Sponsors (?)

coldstaindtears said:
Most people want to swap the 3.8L V6 out for a 4.6L V8. I was thinking about swapping out my 3.8 for 3.9L DOHC V8 from the much overlooked 2003 Ford Thunderbird. HP and Torque are pretty impressive at 280 and 286. I know that the T-Bird only came in automatic and my car is automatic as well. Does anyone know if this motor could be installed in the Mustang and bolt up to the auto trans? How much does a swap usually cost in labor and materials besides the motor, acessories, and computer? I thought it would be cool to have the smaller v8 becuase its making impressive numbers compared to the bigger v8's.

i am 98% sure that this is pretty impossible with out some extensive modification. the t-bird shares the same frame as the lincoln ls and the mounts for both motors (the v-8's are the same only the ford is a 3.9 and the lincoln is a 4.0, go figure) are completly different than the 3.8/4.6 motor.