Time to buff out the Rustang

Chris-86GT5.0

Founding Member
Sep 26, 1999
Ok, My Mustang has slowly turned into a Rustang over the last 14 months it has been parked in the back yard.

I fired her up and she purred like she'd never been stopped.

As for her coat.... well... she's seen better days.

I bought this car in 1997 and a year later my mom wrecked her. She sat in the back 40 with the top down for 7 years. I cleaned her up... cleaned the carpet and the seats and drove her for about 3 years until she gave out mechanically. In all her struts gave out and could not be aligned, her rack and pinion steering went out and finally her master cylinder. For the last year she has been parked again.

Well,

It is coming up on summer and I have spent more than she is worth to get her going again. In the mail are:

New Shocks and struts.
New Caster-Camber plates.

Already on her are:
New Master Cylinder

Due to go on her:
New carpet, fully cleaned seats, front and back.

I am half way through the face lift but I took before pics. Tomorrow I will post after pics.

Here she is before the operation:

mustang1.JPG

mustang2.JPG

mustang3.JPG

mustang4.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I don't understand how people can let a car waste away until it looks like that. I bought a Suzuki Swift from my brother for $200. It's all dented in from him being in a band and parking it at some rough bars where he played, the interior is trashed and the motor has a really loud knock. I've been letting it sit outside for about a year waiting for me to finish my current project so I can whip it into shape to use as a winter beater. It's just a stupid Suzuki Swift but yet I have waves of guilt hit me out of the blue because I'm just letting it rot away. I can't wrap my head around why you would take a nice 4eye, put the top down then let it sit for 7 freakin years. It's good that you're trying to get it fixed up, but there's no excuse to have let it get like that in the first place.

How on earth was it left with the top down?

Did you drive it that dirty?

Looks like an awesome project, and I can't wait to see some progress pictures but dang that is filthy!

Because my mom wrecked the car, she kept this one and bought me another car. It stayed in her covered parking with the top down because the top was broken. I have been fixing her up.

As far as the floor plan is concerned, I got the carpet ripped up and there is no rust. I live in Bakersfield which is a very arid climate with very little rain.

She is an ugly duckling for sure, but the price was right! :) I will have her looking good in no time.