Tom Scarpello's Reply to me

spectravp

Apr 29, 2004
NY
This is regarding an email I sent to him regarding the SVT Lightning.

Dear Mr. Miranda,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to express your feelings regarding Ford's decision to postpone the launch of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning.

By any measure, the SVT F-150 Lightning has been a very successful product for Ford. With a total of 39,687 SVT F-150 Lightnings produced since 1993, the Lightning is the longest-running, best-selling sport truck nameplate in the industry. With a unique blend of performance, style, functionality, and value, Lightning is truly an icon product.

Over the years, the SVT F-150 Lightning has earned Ford a tremendously loyal customer base. Most Lightning owners own other Ford Motor Company products as well. Lightning owners are often responsible for encouraging friends, neighbors, and co-workers to consider Ford products. This is why we at SVT believe that Lightning customers are some of Ford's most valuable customers. Ford and SVT are fortunate to have such a loyal and enthusiastic customer base.

Ever since the news of the postponement of the next-generation Lightning became a matter of public record, we have received numerous letters, faxes, phone calls, and emails from Lightning owners. The overwhelming response to this announcement is a strong indication of the passion that our customers have for this very special product. We are presently in the process of compiling and cataloguing this important and highly valued input from our customers, so that we may share it with Company management.

Any further announcements regarding the SVT F-150 Lightning and/or other SVT programs will be communicated through our dealers and via our website, www.svt.ford.com. Alternatively, customers may contact us directly via the SVT InfoCenter, at 1-800-367-3788 (1-800-FORD-SVT).

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Tom Scarpello
Marketing and Sales Manager
Ford Special Vehicle Team

• Sponsors (?)

This is the email I sent to him, and other Ford Management Members:

Dear Sirs,

As a fellow Ford loyalist, driver and SVT enthusiast, I implore you to
reconsider your decisions to abandon the Ford SVT Lightning. This
vehicle is a hallmark amongst Ford aficionados and would be considered
a real travesty of justice to see the project shelved. I'm sure that,
in large part, the decision to abandon the Lightning project is due to
the vehicles generated ROI, but the PR that vehicles such as this and
the Cobra generate surely outweigh the bottom line numbers. I'm talking
about brand-building.

Additionally, it is now rumored that the entire SVT department may be
on the chopping block? Would you care to comment about that?

Thanks for taking the time to review this communiqué.

Emails and phone calls can really work if enough people do it.

Remember ford way going to replace the mustang with a front drive 4 cyl car in the 1980's, so many people got angry that ford decided to nix that idea and rebadged the front driver the Probe.

Ive sent my email to ford.

new22003 said:
Emails and phone calls can really work if enough people do it.

Remember ford way going to replace the mustang with a front drive 4 cyl car in the 1980's, so many people got angry that ford decided to nix that idea and rebadged the front driver the Probe.

Ive sent my email to ford.

yeah, if you look closely at the probe it borrows some slight styling cues from the mustang...

holler said:
yeah, if you look closely at the probe it borrows some slight styling cues from the mustang...

That is because it almost WAS the Mustang before the boat load of hate mail Ford got. I think there were actually death threats involved when they tried that little stunt.

Mr_dcj2001 said:
Spectravp, you are the man. Thanks for taking a moment to let your voice be heard. We are going grassroots baby!!! My e-mail is in route. SVT! SVT! SVT! SVT! SVT! :hail2: .

Can't let them take away SVT now can we? If they chop the Lightning with no resistance, who's to say the Cobra isn't next!

spectravp said:
Thank you very much for taking the time to write to express your feelings regarding Ford's decision to postpone the launch of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning.

I find this line very interesting. I bet with all the work they're doing on the Mustang and Shelby GR-1 plus the Hurricane engine being in the pipeline, it was an easy descision to shelve the Lightning until a later date.

TomServo92 said:
I find this line very interesting. I bet with all the work they're doing on the Mustang and Shelby GR-1 plus the Hurricane engine being in the pipeline, it was an easy descision to shelve the Lightning until a later date.

I agree. In fact, it has been reported that the Lightning will be no more in many popular news forums. But, nowhere in this message from Tom Scarpello does it say that. He says, as you pointed out, postponed! And, he gave me the feeling that he and Team SVT have a disagreement with management. He said something to that effect in the message when he said that they were compiling the user responses to this issue to present to Ford Management. I find that very interesting.

But, also, notice this: In the email I sent him, I specifically asked him if the rumors about the entire SVT team being on the chopping block are true. He didn't reply to that at all.

All that said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Stang8URMPRT said:
Almost postive that is an automated responce. That man has way too much on his hands to sit at a computer and respond to 1 million e-mails from angry people.

I would tend to agre. I have no disillusions that he toke the time to write to little 'ol me.

However, many people from this forum email him as well. I wonder if they got the same response.

spectravp said:
I would tend to agre. I have no disillusions that he toke the time to write to little 'ol me.

However, many people from this forum email him as well. I wonder if they got the same response.

Post his email or PM it to me whichever you want to. I'll write a nice letter as well. I was really considering a new lightning or cobra. After my dad got his new 04 Lariat f150 and i rode in that thing i realized that the new lightning might just have to be my next vehicle...the quality in those trucks is like a luxury car. Its quiet, no squeeks and rattles, and it actually has a nice quality car like ride. I will be very dissapointed if the new chassis isn't used for a lightning...moreover i'll be distraught if they nix the cobra and SVT altogther. Please send me the address.

kirkyg

spectravp said:

Yeah, I didn't mean it in like a mean way or calling you out. Sorry if it came across that way. But I am sure they are counting all these messages they are getting from angry people.

Stang8URMPRT said:
Yeah, I didn't mean it in like a mean way or calling you out. Sorry if it came across that way. But I am sure they are counting all these messages they are getting from angry people.

I understand, and didn't take it derogatory. And, I agree. I'm sure SVT is collecting all this stuff to present to the bean counters to say, "SEE! SEE! You D**k"

I think this would be the worst time to stop the lightning, now that dodge has there SRT truck or whatever it is, and the SS (nice for a chevy). My friends that like dodge are like yeah look at that, and I say yeah ford has done that since 93 with the lightning. Nothing like a little "big 3" competition to get us some good vehicles. They set the presidence, Now there gonna stop after everyone else is starting to also benefit on a chance they took with a performance truck?????? People should point that out in there emails.

spectravp said:
This is regarding an email I sent to him regarding the SVT Lightning.

Dear Mr. Miranda,

By any measure, the SVT F-150 Lightning has been a very successful product for Ford. With a total of 39,687 SVT F-150 Lightnings produced since 1993, the Lightning is the longest-running, best-selling sport truck nameplate in the industry. With a unique blend of performance, style, functionality, and value, Lightning is truly an icon product.

Over the years, the SVT F-150 Lightning has earned Ford a tremendously loyal customer base. Most Lightning owners own other Ford Motor Company products as well. Lightning owners are often responsible for encouraging friends, neighbors, and co-workers to consider Ford products. This is why we at SVT believe that Lightning customers are some of Ford's most valuable customers. Ford and SVT are fortunate to have such a loyal and enthusiastic customer base.

Ever since the news of the postponement of the next-generation Lightning became a matter of public record, we have received numerous letters, faxes, phone calls, and emails from Lightning owners. The overwhelming response to this announcement is a strong indication of the passion that our customers have for this very special product. We are presently in the process of compiling and cataloguing this important and highly valued input from our customers, so that we may share it with Company management.

Any further announcements regarding the SVT F-150 Lightning and/or other SVT programs will be communicated through our dealers and via our website, www.svt.ford.com. Alternatively, customers may contact us directly via the SVT InfoCenter, at 1-800-367-3788 (1-800-FORD-SVT).

Sincerely,

Tom Scarpello

Looks similar to the response I got!

Dear Mr. Calder,

Thank you very much for your brief but clear email regarding Ford's decision to postpone the launch of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning.

Sincerely,

Tom Scarpello