Top Gear - Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

i love the show, but dont agree with them. They like stuff that goes around corners and does 0-60 in under 5 seconds. They dont much like american cars, and thats where i disagree with them. But they hit it spot on about some of the euro cars, and thats why i still watch

"A european car would run circles around it...what one wheel does the other does, its like running around with your shoe laces tied":rolleyes:
first off the european cars that run circles around it cost 2 to 3 times as much, and even maybe more. AAANNNDDD who doesnt want both tires spinning in a straight line/ drag racing sort of bit wich is what WE american...and a few canadians prefer....am i wrong??? 1 weel burnout don't seem to do it for me like 2. :shrug: but hey i thought americans were the top demmographic that Ford was looking at and id much rather go from A to B in a straight line rather than take the senic rout and use my 60,000 dollar plus suspension

Yeah, but european cars are like "rerrrrrr" boring, gay. Mustang is like "IM GONNA ****ING OWN YOU" type of sound to it =). Plus they look nice, and have a very low price tag. Now if you wanted to spend the same amount of $$$, you could beef the stang up and run around them alot more.

if you do a bit of research and watching they also tested a F-60 ENZO ferarri and on thier test track laid down a 1:19:00 time with almost nothing but curves, upon further notice you would see the FORD GT just below the porshe carrera GT 1:19:80 at a 1:20:something number.... the ferari enzo was given to only 395 people, and when i say given 395 people were phoned and told if you would like one you MAY at a mere price north of 1,000,000 dollars. the ford GT just over 1 sec. longer on a CURVE happy track is 150,000 dollars so in essence its own 1 ferarri or 6 Fords with a few bucks left to make 1 or 2 of them better than that damn enzo ;) hey yeah id go for the FORD BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its true they don't like american cars. And the European cars that they like are well out of the mustang's price range. But they are better than the mustangs, I don't care what you guys say.
Don't get me wrong, I love mustangs, I love my car, and I'd like to own it forever, but you give me the choice between ANY kind of mustang, even a cobra, OR, ferraris/porsches/lambos and all the super cars they test, and I'll take those europeans cars ANY DAY.
Unlike Engage47, I'll take the scenic route. I drove my mustang all along the US1 highway from LA to SF, and there is nothing that you can say to me or give me that'll make me want to do it again with my car over my dad's (mercedes slk 350) As much as I like the sound of our cars and the engines and stuff, europeans WILL run circles around us.
Now...I am ignoring price AND i'm talking stock for stock.

Yes and most of the world cannot afford those rediculous prices. Alittle bit of spending and work, you can easily make a car take on those other ones and still come out alot cheaper. The Mustang is like half a ferrari for less than a 10th of the price, that's why it is liked more. Though I think Ford needs to step the F up and quit underpowering it. Get some 400hp GTs and 280 hp V6s with a good suspension, even an option, and people will really respect it.

thats what it really comes down to. Technology and engineering. If we squeeze the full potential out of a piece of equipment, we're going to gain respect. but as long as theres leaf springs on the vette and 4.6's making a mere 300 horsepower, were not going to be getting much respect. i really think that while alot of fun, i wish they would have spent a little more time on the motor for the 05 mustang and worried less about the damn backlighting for the gauges. And heads up displays. i had one in my bonneville and that is a great feature. We need to step it up and make the leap into the new era of engineering. I just wish we could send a saleen or a steda over there to show them what the mustang can really perform like with a proper setup

Like silver's saying...technology and engineering makes a difference. 300 horsepower out of a 4.7 liter engine is just a complete waste. I don't care what it sounds like.
I mean, if you can get 400 horsepower out of a 2.0 liter engine and get it to keep up with a lamborghini, then how are are they putting 200 horspower on a 3.8 litter engine?
If you're wondering about what car I"m taking about just check this vid out, its also a great video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5639412376935133899&q=top+gear+evo

I don't want to say the name of the car until after you guys see the vid cause I'll get a lot of abuse lol. J/k check it its cool, and its the truth

OK, so its a lancer woohoo :rolleyes: J/K disturbed. Yeah i agree that the mustang needs some serious help and a lot more technology/ sophistication. i just think that euro cars and designers have their heads up eachothers asses. Ford is behind yes, but for the price of any AMG out there i would gladly buy the mustang GT and make it better with the rest of the money id have left. i do wish i wouldnt have too but FORD has somesthing that most of the highend euro guys dont and AFTERMARKET PARTS DEPARTMENT, you dont hear about anyone doing anything extra to the enzo/boxter/carreras/lambos/anyone else, and dont give me the crap that its perfect already cause its not. we may disagree on the curvy roads thing Disturbed and thats fine cant blame you for that, but ford does make a lot of money in the aftermarket area for thier cars, yes i do wish the mustang GT be more powerful and a little better all around but considering that they unlike european manufacurers do make unbelievable sums of money on extra performance parts they cater to all people really whereas the euros only cater to the rich. EX: my wifes friend owns a 05 GT stock she thinks it couldn't be better performance wise and will never wish to have more, her usband has a 03 cobra with another 20 grand in performance parts most from FRPP so the fast guys get a car they can work with and the daily driving people get a car they can be proud of and that is where ford=genious, and also making an affordable supercar the GT. euro sports cars are basically for rich only and they are the only ones that buy them, and not all rich people want fast cars. whereas the ford mustang is suitable for grandma and grandson alike hence a larger buying demographic anyone can basically aford it and to mod it accordingly with a savings compaired to the high end cars so much so that grandson can add stuff to make it equal and surpass the highend cars. that my friends is where i believe Ford has created an ingeniouse marketing scheme whata ya think Disturbed???

silver_sn95_v6 said:
thats what it really comes down to. Technology and engineering. If we squeeze the full potential out of a piece of equipment, we're going to gain respect. but as long as theres leaf springs on the vette and 4.6's making a mere 300 horsepower, were not going to be getting much respect.

They have the Technology, but the reason they don't use it right away is because they won't make money. It's all about the money, so that's why they're taking it slow.

:)
I agree with you 100%.
The truth is, more than anything, without taking details into account (details meaning: money, etc...), you put a mustang and a supercar next to each other and say pick one, I'd take the supercar (Not all though, there's many supercars which I don't like and would take the stang over it any day, but then again there's BMWs and Mercedeses that I'd take over the stang as well) I guess thats more or less what my whole point is here :shrug:
I mean, I do own a mustang and not a supercar, right?

Hey completly off topic, but have you heard of the Ariel Atom? I think thats what its called, you'll know what I'm taking about if you've heard of it.

Engage47 said:
OK, so its a lancer woohoo :rolleyes: J/K disturbed. Yeah i agree that the mustang needs some serious help and a lot more technology/ sophistication. i just think that euro cars and designers have their heads up eachothers asses. Ford is behind yes, but for the price of any AMG out there i would gladly buy the mustang GT and make it better with the rest of the money id have left. i do wish i wouldnt have too but FORD has somesthing that most of the highend euro guys dont and AFTERMARKET PARTS DEPARTMENT, you dont hear about anyone doing anything extra to the enzo/boxter/carreras/lambos/anyone else, and dont give me the crap that its perfect already cause its not. we may disagree on the curvy roads thing Disturbed and thats fine cant blame you for that, but ford does make a lot of money in the aftermarket area for thier cars, yes i do wish the mustang GT be more powerful and a little better all around but considering that they unlike european manufacurers do make unbelievable sums of money on extra performance parts they cater to all people really whereas the euros only cater to the rich. EX: my wifes friend owns a 05 GT stock she thinks it couldn't be better performance wise and will never wish to have more, her usband has a 03 cobra with another 20 grand in performance parts most from FRPP so the fast guys get a car they can work with and the daily driving people get a car they can be proud of and that is where ford=genious, and also making an affordable supercar the GT. euro sports cars are basically for rich only and they are the only ones that buy them, and not all rich people want fast cars. whereas the ford mustang is suitable for grandma and grandson alike hence a larger buying demographic anyone can basically aford it and to mod it accordingly with a savings compaired to the high end cars so much so that grandson can add stuff to make it equal and surpass the highend cars. that my friends is where i believe Ford has created an ingeniouse marketing scheme whata ya think Disturbed???

DcDisturbed947 said:
:)
I agree with you 100%.
The truth is, more than anything, without taking details into account (details meaning: money, etc...), you put a mustang and a supercar next to each other and say pick one, I'd take the supercar (Not all though, there's many supercars which I don't like and would take the stang over it any day, but then again there's BMWs and Mercedeses that I'd take over the stang as well) I guess thats more or less what my whole point is here :shrug:
I mean, I do own a mustang and not a supercar, right?

Hey completly off topic, but have you heard of the Ariel Atom? I think thats what its called, you'll know what I'm taking about if you've heard of it.
Nope i havent, but i do understand and agree with the pick one senario, but does it make me bad if i just pick the most expensive one to sell it and buy the GT or a stang and build from there?:shrug:

yeah, the atom is crazy. Saw it in the forums at the bottom. One thing I do like about Mustang, even if they should start squeezing out extra hp, is that it's got good gas milage for a V6 with the hp is puts down, and it gives me something to work on. I make money very slowly since I'm in college, and as I do I get a project every so often. Euro cars, you got it, it's done, no more work to go...that's no fun. My uncle used to build pro stock cars like NASCAR and even raced for awhile. It was the best job he had and loved it alot. Now he took a chassis, build the engine and other things, everything from the ground up and made a street legal vehicle with a monster of a V8 engine in the back. 100mph was nothing to this car, and it's a semi dune buggy and **** is it fun as hell to be in doing 100mph down a dirt road =D. So my point is, sure I gotta spend time and labor on it, but in the end I got something to look and and know I built half of this thing, makes you appreciate it more.

And the evo puts down alot of horses from the turbo. In 1987, before SVO was shut down, they produced a prototype 2.3L DOHC with a turbo putting down near 275 hp. That's 1987 technology with almost as much hp as the GTs today, but lighter and faster. Next they have a 3.5L DOHC V6 putting out 250hp for the 2007 fusion, hopefully maybe a 275-300hp modded one for the Mustang, and hopefully a 4.6 DOHC kicking up 400+hp for the GT. And then call the GT500 like the Cobra (since it is) 5.4L with a supercharger, and it would have to put down 750hp so it can keep up with Saleen and all them. But sometimes the point is affordable power, then if you want to spend the extra money, you can get some high power numbers.