Track Tips

So im thinking of going to the track tomorrow night and was wondering if you guys had any tips. Its my first time at the track, but i think i have a good idea of where to start. Thinking of lowering my tire pressure to like 15psi, slipping the clutch around 3500rpms, and shifting around 5800 or 6000. How do you go about the burnout? A full like 8 second brake stand or just pop the clutch in first and ride it out? What about the water box? I know i could take out the sub and spare tire, but im not really that worried about the fastest time just yet, i just want to go and have fun, but not look like a fool haha. Ive seen NHRA at infineon so i know how the whole process works, but not how to do it myself with a car and not a TF Dragster. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm assuming you'll be running street tires? If so, no burnout, quick squeak to kick to rocks off. Personally I found that I get my best times on street tires when they are between 22 and 30 psi. If you really want to, back off 5 psi each pass until you don't stick well or it feels funny, then add 5 back in.

As to launch, if it's your first time, launch off of idle. Then gradually bring it up to no more than 3k (ideally 2-2.5k) until you get wheel spin... then back off by about 200 rpm.

It's a big game of variables. If you start out with everything the way you drove in and then start from idle and work your way up and leave the tires alone you will see the most improvements. I'd also leave the sub and stuff in. It will help with traction. Yeah you may lose a 10th, but since this is a base line, who cares right? I don't even take mine out any more.

Then again that's just my opinion....

Avoid the water box... that's not opinion.

I don't let any air pressure out of my street tires. The lowest I usually run them is 30psi. Radial tire tread is too hard, so it won't stick like a Drag Radial and the casing is reinforced, so the side wall won't buckle like a slick. If anything, I'd say lowering your tire pressure excessively is probably going to hurt your times, more than help because of the added drag.

I would however pump up the front tires to about 45psi to get them good and hard and keep the rolling resistance to a minimum.

And as stated...a quick spin to clean the rocks and dirt off the tread is all that's needed. Any more than that and you risk turning the tread into grease and hurting your run.

Otherwise, just slip the clutch and walk it out of the hole. It’ll take some practice to get it right (and some people never do) but that’s what the track is for, right? :nice:

I'm assuming you'll be running street tires? If so, no burnout, quick squeak to kick to rocks off. Personally I found that I get my best times on street tires when they are between 22 and 30 psi. If you really want to, back off 5 psi each pass until you don't stick well or it feels funny, then add 5 back in.

As to launch, if it's your first time, launch off of idle. Then gradually bring it up to no more than 3k (ideally 2-2.5k) until you get wheel spin... then back off by about 200 rpm.

It's a big game of variables. If you start out with everything the way you drove in and then start from idle and work your way up and leave the tires alone you will see the most improvements. I'd also leave the sub and stuff in. It will help with traction. Yeah you may lose a 10th, but since this is a base line, who cares right? I don't even take mine out any more.

Then again that's just my opinion....

Avoid the water box... that's not opinion.

+1, only thing I can add is to walk up and watch some others cars make some passes to get an idea of where the staging lane is and get an idea of how the tree works. And I shift right around 5800 and thats where my best time is at, gl and have fun.

some simple tips..........

1. stay calm dont get all nervous,worked up and hyper(i got so nervous i thought i was gonna pee my pants)
2. dont worry about the guy next to you
3. dont go there expecting times, if u go there hoping to get a certain time and u dont ur prolly gonna be a lil down.

1st and foremost have fun man! dont worry if your launches are not that great your first time. they will improve. its all about seat time. on street tires like everyone is saying just run the stock pressure of about 30 to 32 and just slip the clutch. there really isnt a certain rpm to launch at. thats just something you will have to play around with. and dont worry about reactions they dont mean crap. clock doesnt start till you roll through the beams.

have fun man:nice:

Thanks for all the advice guys. I knew there were some seasoned track vets round here. I hope ill still be able to make it out tomorrow as im really excited to go. Always thought lowering the tire pressure would give me more grip, but i guess on street tires whatever is possible. I trust all you guys and your experience. Ill let you guys know the results if i do make it. Thanks :SNSign:

The tips given so far are great. Go out and have fun this time. Your times will improve with practice! The more passes you make, the faster you'll get.

After lots of practice, you can go for best time. On my 97, I got my best time by removing the junk and spare tire and upping the air pressure in the front tires to the max. In the rear tires, I always ran the usual 32. The back end is pretty light with no spare and no junk, so it's pretty easy to go up in smoke.

As for driving style, I would usually launch at 3500. I'd lower it if needed, depending on the track. I would slip the clutch pretty hard, leaving soft at first, then letting it engage more as the weight transfered. This was with stock 3.27s and less power, so the rpm you leave may be much lower. Then, I'd power shift every gear until the end. This got me a 14.2 on a NPI with only an offroad H pipe.

If you can, pull the sub out for starters, plus any loose stuff in the car.

Stay calm and don't worry about anyone else at the track, just focus on learning. Don't worry about messing up, launching poorly, or running slow E/Ts. Just learn. My first time out I made a 17 second pass, it was weak. With no additional mods I ended up dropping that E/T down 2.5 seconds to 14.5. It just takes practice and a few trips to the track.

I would air my tires down to 20-22psi. I don't have any scientific proof that it helped, but it may have helped me pyschologically. Same goes for your fuel level. Obviously fuel adds weight, but unless you've got a FULL tank the differences may be negligible. That being said, my car ran "better" with less than 1/8 tank.

As its been said, avoid the water box. Especially with your front tires, all you'll do is drag water onto the track for your drive wheels to spin on. I used to like to roll past the water box and mash the throttle in wet area around the box. (This was Capitol Raceway, other tracks will probably be better kept.) With the 4.10s the tires would spin enough to throw debris off the tread, but not get all sloppy and useless the way street tires do when you try to "heat them up." I'm talking like 1 second of spin here.

The launch will take time to learn, so try some stuff out and you'll develop a technique.

Again, don't worry about what other people think. You'll only end up being "That Guy" if you do one of two things:

1.)Drag water onto the track with your front tires.
2.)Stage with your rear tires. (Approach the tree slowly, don't roll past the staging beams too quickly :D)

Good luck!!

Since it's your first time out these are the first 3 things I'd suggest.

1. Go around the water box completely. Once your in the lane groove rev up to about 5k and drop the clutch for a 2 count. That's good enough to get the tires clean.

2. Once staged, hold the rpm at 2.5k. When the the LAST Yellow comes on, let the clutch out. The instant you feel the car move slam the gas to the floor.

3. MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE TRACTION CONTROL

Traction Control Off!!

Since it's your first time out these are the first 3 things I'd suggest.

1. Go around the water box completely. Once your in the lane groove rev up to about 5k and drop the clutch for a 2 count. That's good enough to get the tires clean.

2. Once staged, hold the rpm at 2.5k. When the the LAST Yellow comes on, let the clutch out. The instant you feel the car move slam the gas to the floor.

3. MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE TRACTION CONTROL

Good call on the traction control...Im surprised it was only mentioned once.

here's my technique: 20psi in the rears, 32 in the fronts, 1/2 -3/4 quarters of a tank of gas + the spare & jack, 1st gear burnout til the tires start to smoke, 4000rpm launch with a real quick clutch slip & shift at 6000rpm.

not really what most recommend but it works for me, 1.9x's 60fts on street tires and high 13s on a bolt on npi