tranny problems

Josh79

Sep 7, 2005
South Dakota
Well i have had my 95 gt for a month and it has had some minor (i hope) tranny problems (that i didnt notice till after i handed them the money :mad: ). its a manual and has the t5 i would assume and it also has a pro 5.0 shifter that the previous owner installed and 90k on the car. I did a search and didnt find a whole lot of info that i was looking for. going up through the gears normally it is fine but when i downshift into 2nd i have to give it a hard jerk (always seems to go into gear on the 2nd quick jerk), and it also sometimes grinds when i downshift to 1st. Now that is all in normal driving. I also noticed when i hot rod it and i go to shift into 2nd it grinds badly and then goes into gear on the 2nd attempt (not powershifting even). it grinds in reverse unless i put it in another gear first but this is normal cuz it has no synchro right? The clutch is supposed to have an adjustment. you adjust it by putting your foot under the clutch and lifting up and then slowly depressing it to the floor right? this seems to do nothing to my car. the pedal doesnt even seem to lift up.maybe i need a new cable? anyway to tell? i am going to check the tranny fluid tomorrow just to make sure that it is ok. how hard is it really to rebuild one. i have access to normal hand tools, but that is about it. any input is welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

whats the mileage on it? The adjustment for the clutch doesnt always work right try getting a different cable maybe one with the firewall adjuster and the clutch quadrant where the cable hooks up to under the dash the stock one is plastic and will wear out its sounds like your clutch is going out which would be the cheap fix if not it would be internal and possibly the syncros

Powershifting on the T5 is a big no no unless you don't want it to last past 150k. Downshifting is fine, it'll be more trouble for your clutch than the tranny...but there's no need to downshift in 1st. I have 2.73s and still don't feel the need (kinda jerky...car dosen't seem to enjoy it). Like the others said, your synchros are possibly going.

Start saving for a T56, I know I am :D

Does it pop out at times if you dont ram it in there good too...? By the sound of it you definitely need syncros and i would do that asap...Plus you might need shift fork pads or maybe even new shift forks. so before you do anymore damge stop and get it fixed.Trust me it can get expensive if not taken care of.

it has never popped out of gear and i do not power shift it but the previous owner may have. when i am talking about downshifting it is under normal driving conditions like when i have to turn or there is a BIG speed bump etc. i will put in a new cable and check the fluid first. If it needs more work i will try to rebuild it myself. i dont have the money to spend on a brand new t56 or any other tranny. i can get the rebuild kit for around 200 (i think they are in that ballpark) and do it myself hopefully. is there any special tools that will be needed?